Mindy

Default import question

Hello, I'm still trying to import a .txt file into excel. I just learned
that the text file is divided into records by a carriage return. My problem
is in Excel I don't see a delimiter like a carriage return or enter. am I
missing something? Mindy
Gord Dibben

Mindy

When the Text to Columns Wizard comes up, in the de-limited by "other" box
enter a CR by holding the ALT key and hitting 0010 or 0013 on the NumPad.

This should break up your data.

If no joy with these steps......

Download Chip Pearson's CELLVIEW add-in from

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

Load through ToolsAdd-ins.

Select the data and Chip's add-in will show you what the characters are.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:17:19 -0700, "Mindy"
wrote:

Hello, I'm still trying to import a .txt file into excel. I just learned
that the text file is divided into records by a carriage return. My problem
is in Excel I don't see a delimiter like a carriage return or enter. am I
missing something? Mindy

Nick Hodge

Mindy

A carriage return is automatically the delimiter for the next *record*
(Rows) what you need is the delimiter between fields, (Columns). If there is
no delimiter to be seen in the file, then it is possible the fields are
'fixed width'. This option can be set on the first screen of the text import
wizard.

--
HTH
Nick Hodge