Otto Moehrbach

Default Importing Question!

One way I can see to accomplish what you want is to import the whole list,
overwriting all of your color-coding, then run a VBA macro to do all the
color coding for you.
This, of course, presupposes that there is some logic, that Excel can
follow, to determine the color-coding needed.

Another way would be to import the new data to a separate sheet or workbook,
and then have Excel, with a VBA macro, look over the old and new lists and
transfer from new to old only those records that are not already in the old.
The data can then be sorted (by VBA or manually) by some key column (Account
number maybe?) and the existing color-coding will be preserved.

If you think something like this will work for you, send me a sample file of
what you have, with a sample of what the import looks like, and the logic
you use to effect your color-coding. If you feel your data is proprietary,
just make up something. I need just the layout of your data, not the
specific names, etc. I will write up a macro or macro system to do what you
need. Don't attach any files to your newsgroup posting. That is frowned
upon and no one will open that file. My email address is
. Remove "Cobia97" from this address. HTH
Otto

"nkippen" wrote in message

I don't know exactly to what forum I should be posting this question,
so I thought I'd start here with the gurus.

Situation:

Background:

I work in the bankrupcy department of my company. Each week there is
an excel document that is updated with new accounts that have gone
bankrupt. (I copy this document to another location so it doesn't get
overwritten.) On my copy of the accounts I have a color coding scheme
to classify each account. However, each week there are more accounts
added and I am currently having to go threw the entire list of accounts
again, color coding not only the ones I've already looked at, but
analyzing the newly added accounts to the excel document.

The new accounts that are added to the [weekly updated] excel document
are organized by their account number, which makes it more difficult
because the new accounts are scattered throughout and mixed in with the
older accounts.

Is there away that I can import only the newly added accounts to my
copy of the excel document on my desktop, that way all the accounts
that I have color coded remain color coded and I can easily go down
through the list analyzing only the newly added accounts to the excel
document that is updated weekly?

Or in other words is there a way to only import the newly added
accounts to my excel document without having to import the entire
document thus overwriting everything that I have done?

Is there some parameters I need to use in my Query options with the
Importing tool? Or will I have to come up with some Visual Basic Macro
or something to be able to do this?

So many questions.. phew!

--
nkippen