Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default sorting problem

I am using a spreadsheet that has four sets of three columns. I select,
let's say, rows 1-20 rows down the first set of columns. When I click "Sort"
the whole spreadsheet rows 1-20 gets highlighted 'to be sorted'. I've remade
the whole darn workbook but can't fix the problem.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Sandi
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

If you want to sort only a small specific area, then select only that small
specific area, not the entire rows or entire columns within......ie, just
select a1:c20 to sort just that area, not ROW 1 to ROW 20.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Sadiwest" wrote:

I am using a spreadsheet that has four sets of three columns. I select,
let's say, rows 1-20 rows down the first set of columns. When I click "Sort"
the whole spreadsheet rows 1-20 gets highlighted 'to be sorted'. I've remade
the whole darn workbook but can't fix the problem.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Sandi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have selected the specific range/set/group of cels I want to sort....I
select them but the other/additional cels are auto-selected once I click
"Sort".
Thanks....I need all the help I can get.

"Sadiwest" wrote:

I am using a spreadsheet that has four sets of three columns. I select,
let's say, rows 1-20 rows down the first set of columns. When I click "Sort"
the whole spreadsheet rows 1-20 gets highlighted 'to be sorted'. I've remade
the whole darn workbook but can't fix the problem.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Sandi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

It still sounds like a matter of selecting the range you want to sort
first.........if you are selecting only one column or one cell, then Excel
will sort all column within contiquity of that selection, thatis, until it
finds a blank column or blank row.....if you just highlight only the specific
cells of A1 to C20 Excel will only sort that area and nothing else.........if
you select only columns A,B, and C, then it will sort only within those three
columns........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Sadiwest" wrote:

I am using a spreadsheet that has four sets of three columns. I select,
let's say, rows 1-20 rows down the first set of columns. When I click "Sort"
the whole spreadsheet rows 1-20 gets highlighted 'to be sorted'. I've remade
the whole darn workbook but can't fix the problem.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Sandi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chuck,
I agree that Excel "should" only sort those cells--A1 to C20--but it
doesn't. As soon as I click "sort" it 'auto-selects' ALL of rows A-C. I've
looked everywhere and there's nothing anywhere that explains why or how this
happens. I only started having this problem when my company switched me to
XP. I've since 'remade' the entire workbook, but am still unable to resolve
this.

"Sadiwest" wrote:

I am using a spreadsheet that has four sets of three columns. I select,
let's say, rows 1-20 rows down the first set of columns. When I click "Sort"
the whole spreadsheet rows 1-20 gets highlighted 'to be sorted'. I've remade
the whole darn workbook but can't fix the problem.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Sandi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you look at excel's help for "Features that are unavailable in shared
workbooks", you'll see one warning that's close (but not an exact hit).

Unavailable feature Alternatives
Insert or delete blocks of cells You can insert entire rows and columns.

Excel likes to work with whole rows in shared workbooks.

You may want to look at that list for other stuff that is unavailable.

--

Dave Peterson