Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
bobb

Default how do I extract the moving average trendline point data?

I'm creating large data sets with moving average trendlines. I need to creat
new charts with ONLY the trendlines...maybe in a separate worksheet. Can the
moving average trendline datapoints be extracted and copied to another sheet?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Ed Ferrero

Hi bobb,

A moving average is calculated fairly easily - lets' assume you want a
13-point MA to smooth monthly data, you just need to average all values for
the current month and 6 months above and below the current month.
eg if data is in column A enter =AVERAGE(A1:A12) in cell B7 and copy down.

A better way to smooth a time series is with a weighted moving average
(called a filter) you can download an add-in to calculate the Henderson
Filter from my web site at http://www.edferrero.com/vba.aspx

Ed Ferrero
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://www.edferrero.com

I'm creating large data sets with moving average trendlines. I need to
creat
new charts with ONLY the trendlines...maybe in a separate worksheet. Can
the
moving average trendline datapoints be extracted and copied to another
sheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

Perhaps you could simply format the data series that the trendlines are
based upon to have no line or fill/markers. You can also, if required,
delete the series entries from the legend.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel