-   -   how do I extract the moving average trendline point data? (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/64126-how-do-i-extract-moving-average-trendline-point-data.html)

bobb

how do I extract the moving average trendline point data?

I'm creating large data sets with moving average trendlines. I need to creat
new charts with ONLY the trendlines...maybe in a separate worksheet. Can the
moving average trendline datapoints be extracted and copied to another sheet?

Ed Ferrero

how do I extract the moving average trendline point data?

Hi bobb,

A moving average is calculated fairly easily - lets' assume you want a
13-point MA to smooth monthly data, you just need to average all values for
the current month and 6 months above and below the current month.
eg if data is in column A enter =AVERAGE(A1:A12) in cell B7 and copy down.

A better way to smooth a time series is with a weighted moving average
(called a filter) you can download an add-in to calculate the Henderson
Filter from my web site at http://www.edferrero.com/vba.aspx

Ed Ferrero
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://www.edferrero.com

I'm creating large data sets with moving average trendlines. I need to
creat
new charts with ONLY the trendlines...maybe in a separate worksheet. Can
the
moving average trendline datapoints be extracted and copied to another
sheet?

Andy Pope

how do I extract the moving average trendline point data?

Hi,

Perhaps you could simply format the data series that the trendlines are
based upon to have no line or fill/markers. You can also, if required,
delete the series entries from the legend.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel