flakkortin

Default Truncated "y" axis label in chart

Hi guys
I have a problem with Excel, the label on the “Y” axis appears
truncated even though I have resized the chart. Then, I looked the file
in another computer with the same version of excel than mine as well as
in another with a different version and in both look fine. Thus, I
erased and re-installed excel in my computer to no avail. I have also
re-sized the chart and used it both as object embedded and in separate
sheet, it doesn't fix the problem. Any suggestions to fix this problem?

--
flakkortin
flakkortin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25305

Phil C

Hi

This is a known problem and, last I heard, hadn't been properly fixed. I
posted a similar question in July 04 ('clipping of y-axis label') and this
was Jon Peltier response:

"This is due to a combination of font size, zoom factor, screen resolution,
and a few other monitor related parameters ("pixel aspect
ratio"). It's frustrating because it isn't really predictable, and it isn't
easy to get rid of.

The standard workaround suggested here is to append a couple spaces and a
period after the title text. Hide the period for those without this
problem by formatting the last character's font color to match the
background. Another option is to put the desired text into a text box
formatted the way the title would have been.

I understand that Microsoft is preparing an article for the knowledge base
relating to this problem. I don't believe there's a more satisfying
workaround than the one I just described"

I haven't checked whether the KB article has now appeared. If is has,
I'msure someone will give a pointer to it.

HTH, Phil

"flakkortin" wrote
in message ...

Hi guys
I have a problem with Excel, the label on the "Y" axis appears
truncated even though I have resized the chart. Then, I looked the file
in another computer with the same version of excel than mine as well as
in another with a different version and in both look fine. Thus, I
erased and re-installed excel in my computer to no avail. I have also
re-sized the chart and used it both as object embedded and in separate
sheet, it doesn't fix the problem. Any suggestions to fix this problem?

--
flakkortin
flakkortin's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=387911

flakkortin

Thanks Phil, if someone knows of the article for the knowledge base
please let me know. In the meantime, does someone knows how to break
the link once you paste a chart from Excel to Word? e.g. so as when
clicking on top of it, it won't open the Excel spreadsheet. :)

--
flakkortin
flakkortin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25305
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=387911

Echo S

"flakkortin" wrote
in message ...
please let me know. In the meantime, does someone knows how to break
the link once you paste a chart from Excel to Word? e.g. so as when

Use Edit/Paste Special and choose a picture option.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

Jon Peltier

I've recently heard that some people have fixed the problem by updating
video drivers.

If it's any consolation, the problem seems to go away in print preview
and in printed copy.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Phil C wrote:

[...]

Andy Pope

Came across this today.

flakkortin wrote:
Thanks Phil, if someone knows of the article for the knowledge base
please let me know. In the meantime, does someone knows how to break
the link once you paste a chart from Excel to Word? e.g. so as when
clicking on top of it, it won't open the Excel spreadsheet. :)

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
M Vincent

Unfortunately, the link did not solve my problem. I have searched all the
newsgroups and have been unable to find an acceptable solution. The problem
appears to occur both in Excel and PowerPoint. I do have a widescreen laptop
monitor, and simultaneously drive an 4:3 external monitor. I constantly have
problems with charts, especially the y-axis labels, but also problems where
entire chart windows will change when the screen resolution is altered.
(This happens with some regularity as I give PowerPoint presentations at
dozens of locations, and occasionally the laptop screen will try to resize to
be compatible with the projector) It apparently can cause font substition
and other issues. I've tried using othe fonts, both true- and non true-type.
Appending several spaces and a period (with the same font color as the
background) does solve some problems with the y-axis, but not all. It seems
this is a very prevalent problem with monitors that are not 4:3 proportions.
Is there a fix on the horizon?

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Came across this today.
Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel

http://www.andypope.info

Andy Pope

Is there a fix on the horizon?
Not that I know of but then that's not really saying a lot. The KB
article is a year old and as far as I know a patch has not been issued
so I would assume the fix is going to require something major like a new
version of the OS or Office. Even then there's no guarantee's. But with
the rise in wide screen usage I would have thought the problem would be
addressed, eventually.

Cheers
Andy

M Vincent wrote:
[...]

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Came across this today.

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel

http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Jon Peltier

I had a cut at the article a year ago, and was underwhelmed, because the
problem has been occurring since long before the existence of any "wide
screen display that has a greater width to height ratio than 4:3".

Since then I've tried to help categorize conditions that lead to the
problem, but since none of my machines are susceptible to the problem,
it's hard to track down.

Others have reported that updating their video or monitor drivers have
helped (but some say it didn't help).

The only saving grace is that these charts (seem to) display properly in
print preview and on the printed page.

- Jon
-------

M Vincent wrote:

[...]

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Came across this today.

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel

http://www.andypope.info

M Vincent

Jon, I actually have more severe troubles than your message indicates.
Frequently, even when printed, or viewed in print preview, axis labels will
be clipped. I currently have my desktop "extended" across two monitors at
different resolutions, which likely compounds the problem. I have very
erratic success when I copy a figure from Excel and paste into Word or
PowerPoint (or from PP into another PP presentation, etc). Even when
"pasting/special/Enhanced Metafile" sometimes the image will be okay,
sometimes it will be skewed or the axis truncated.
The problem occurs even when I unhook the external monitor. I do recall the
problem was much less severe on my old laptop with a standard screen and
lower resolution. I've tried every combination of screen
settings/fonts/other I can tolerate, but nothing will allow consistent
results. Recently, I altered my screen resolution while having a PowerPoint
chart active, and it altered the chart settings so dramatically that I could
never recover a working chart.

Sometimes my PowerPoint presentations can look perfect, I can email the
final presentation to a client, and the axis labels will be trucated for him,
both on his screen and in print. Pretty frustrating.

I've tried updating video drivers with no change. Thanks for your thoughts,
though.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

I had a cut at the article a year ago, and was underwhelmed, because the
problem has been occurring since long before the existence of any "wide
screen display that has a greater width to height ratio than 4:3".

Since then I've tried to help categorize conditions that lead to the
problem, but since none of my machines are susceptible to the problem,
it's hard to track down.

Others have reported that updating their video or monitor drivers have
helped (but some say it didn't help).

The only saving grace is that these charts (seem to) display properly in
print preview and on the printed page.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Mike Middleton

M Vincent -

... I have very erratic success when I copy a figure from Excel and paste
into Word or PowerPoint ... <

Have you tried some of the Shift Edit | Copy Picture options?

If you can get the embedded chart looking the way you want in Excel, select
the chart (click just inside its outer border), hold down Shift and from the
Edit menu choose Copy Picture. Try various options. Then paste into Word or
PowerPoint.

- Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com