Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Excel/ PPT linking question

Went on pptfaq.com and learnt of linking and became addicted to it in the
past week. I'm doing some testing now to see if it could applied at my
office. couple questions wanted to bounce off ideas from you experts:

- renaming issues. what is the impact of renaming files to the links?
(excel/ ppt or both) how should we safeguard links if renaming is required?
(any solutions)

- what's the best way to break links... and send to eg. external client? i
noticed if the excel is not around it will prompt reader it update links...
anyways to eliminate that?

- impact of save as... copy & paste vs cut & paste? any insights on the
impact to links on these operations? did some testing myself... got
confused..myself

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

See comments in-line

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Alex" wrote:

Went on pptfaq.com and learnt of linking and became addicted to it in the
past week. I'm doing some testing now to see if it could applied at my
office. couple questions wanted to bounce off ideas from you experts:

- renaming issues. what is the impact of renaming files to the links?
(excel/ ppt or both) how should we safeguard links if renaming is required?
(any solutions)

When the source file name is changed while the target is closed you will
need to open the target file and choose the Edit, Links, Change Source.

- what's the best way to break links... and send to eg. external client? i
noticed if the excel is not around it will prompt reader it update links...
anyways to eliminate that?

To break links choose Edit, Links, Break Link

- impact of save as... copy & paste vs cut & paste? any insights on the
impact to links on these operations? did some testing myself... got
confused..myself

Not sure what you mean - but Save As in the target file has no effect on the
link, of course in the source file was what the previous questions applied
to. The question of copy and paste depends on how you copy and how you
paste.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Shane, your answers helped to question 1&2, how did you ever learn the
trick to renaming (?) ...

oh follow up to question 1... renaming with target open works!! (thanks!)
however if i don't keep it open, changing source doesn't work in my case as
my charts are not on chartsheets... the slide deck im working on has 70+
charts (updated regularly) and im in the process of linking them... I've
thought of the solution on pptfaq.com by linking a duplicate chart from
chartsheet... but with 70+ charts... this will make my excel large and sticky
to use in the future...

- any solutions to this 70+ chart issue?
- any best practices i should keep in mind when linking in my case?

let me rephrase my question 3...

if successful, the linked files will have to be placed in shared folder. but
ppl (like me) have the habit of saving a copy to desktop, work on it, before
updating the copy on the shared folder. As backup we would occasionally save
as... a copy to shared folder... how do the dynamics change with the links in
place? it would be detrimental if we finished 50 charts back up and realize
that we messed up...

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

Hi,

See comments in-line

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Alex" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

oh actually... linking with target open does not work... gave myself an
illusion...

"Alex" wrote:

[...]

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

Hi,