Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking Cells Between Excel Documents Question

I'm trying to link two cells between two excel sheets. So for example cell A5
from document a into cell B5 into document b. My question is,i linked the
two using an "=" in cell b5 then clicking on cell A5 from document a to
complete the linking.

The problem is i want to be able to insert rows into document A and have
only A5 be linked to B5. When i insert rows in document a anywhere above row
5, it shifts the rown down and the link as well.

Is there any way to permanently link a Cell between documents without the
auto/smart insert feature changing the linking ?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi
Are you using the $?
Befor each caracter you want to have it fixed.
eg: =$A$5
Kaveh

"Troubled" wrote:

I'm trying to link two cells between two excel sheets. So for example cell A5
from document a into cell B5 into document b. My question is,i linked the
two using an "=" in cell b5 then clicking on cell A5 from document a to
complete the linking.

The problem is i want to be able to insert rows into document A and have
only A5 be linked to B5. When i insert rows in document a anywhere above row
5, it shifts the rown down and the link as well.

Is there any way to permanently link a Cell between documents without the
auto/smart insert feature changing the linking ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It auto creates the link, but yes it does have it in the link. Here is what
shows up in cell b5

'[Test Test.XLS]Sheet1'!$A$5

So it's linking cell A5 from document A into cell b5 from document B, just
not permanently.

So if i insert a row in document a above row 5, then it auto changes the
forumla in document b to '[Test Test.XLS]Sheet1'!$A$6

How do i still make it keep the "$A$5" even with row inserts? Thanks