Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
megaman

Default Why does windows xp home edition not include Excell?

I have windows xp Home edition and I cannot open Excell files without errors
happening. Do you have to pay seperatley for Excell or should I be able to
open these file exstensions in Microsoft works "Spreadsheet" ?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
SVC

Excel is a part of Microsoft Office, not Windows XP. You need a copy of
Office or Excel to work on Excel files.

You can use Excel Viewer to view and copy data from Excel files:

"megaman" wrote:

I have windows xp Home edition and I cannot open Excell files without errors
happening. Do you have to pay seperatley for Excell or should I be able to
open these file exstensions in Microsoft works "Spreadsheet" ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Gord Dibben

Excel is not included with Windows OS currently or in the past.

It is part of MS Office Suite or a stand-alone application.

You don't download Excel. You purchase it or Office Suite from a retailer or
order from MS on line. They will send you a CD.

For info on ordering see this website.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/programs/default.asp to see the Office
products and how to purchase.

Note:you probably don't need XL2003 so browse to the "previous versions"
section.

Check out Ebay for a deal on Office 97 or 2000. If you go this route, make
sure there is a licence for the product.

If you just want to view or print the Excel file you can

Download and install the Excel Viewer from....

http://office.microsoft.com/download.../xlviewer.aspx

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 03:20:01 -0700, megaman
wrote:

I have windows xp Home edition and I cannot open Excell files without errors
happening. Do you have to pay seperatley for Excell or should I be able to
open these file exstensions in Microsoft works "Spreadsheet" ?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP