-   -   Why does windows xp home edition not include Excell? (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/83711-why-does-windows-xp-home-edition-not-include-excell.html)

megaman

Why does windows xp home edition not include Excell?

I have windows xp Home edition and I cannot open Excell files without errors
happening. Do you have to pay seperatley for Excell or should I be able to
open these file exstensions in Microsoft works "Spreadsheet" ?

SVC

Why does windows xp home edition not include Excell?

Excel is a part of Microsoft Office, not Windows XP. You need a copy of
Office or Excel to work on Excel files.

You can use Excel Viewer to view and copy data from Excel files:

"megaman" wrote:

I have windows xp Home edition and I cannot open Excell files without errors
happening. Do you have to pay seperatley for Excell or should I be able to
open these file exstensions in Microsoft works "Spreadsheet" ?

Gord Dibben

Why does windows xp home edition not include Excell?

Excel is not included with Windows OS currently or in the past.

It is part of MS Office Suite or a stand-alone application.

You don't download Excel. You purchase it or Office Suite from a retailer or
order from MS on line. They will send you a CD.

For info on ordering see this website.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/programs/default.asp to see the Office
products and how to purchase.

Note:you probably don't need XL2003 so browse to the "previous versions"
section.

Check out Ebay for a deal on Office 97 or 2000. If you go this route, make
sure there is a licence for the product.

If you just want to view or print the Excel file you can

Download and install the Excel Viewer from....

http://office.microsoft.com/download.../xlviewer.aspx

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 03:20:01 -0700, megaman
wrote:

I have windows xp Home edition and I cannot open Excell files without errors
happening. Do you have to pay seperatley for Excell or should I be able to
open these file exstensions in Microsoft works "Spreadsheet" ?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP