Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.setup
Conan Kelly

Default Setting Shortcut Keys

Hello all,

Is there any way to specifically set shortcut keys to buttons
(programmatically or by tweaking the registry even)? I would like to
set Excel's "Format Painter"
and "Center" buttons to the same key combos as Word's (Ctrl + Shift +
C) and (Ctrl + E).

Unfortunately, Excel isn't as resilient as Word when it comes to
assigning hot key combos (for those that don't know, please check out
this pictu
http://home.att.net/~ctbarbarin/file...e_keyboard.jpg). Word
lists every command, what the command does, and all key combos already
assigned to it and allows you to add new key combos to existing ones.

FYI: I'm using MS Word & Excel 2002 SP3 (MS Office XP SP3)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.setup
David McRitchie

Hi Conon,
Not sure but are you trying to apply the painter several times.i

Paintbrush ("Format Painter") can be applied multiple times by double-clicking, and
turned off by clicking on any toolbar button. The large plus next to the cursor is
probably a tip-off of this feature.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...tm#painter.htm

For a macro see ...
Pasting Formats, as in Format Painter (#painter)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/paste.htm#painter

---
HTH,

"Conan Kelly" <CTBarbarin at msn dot com wrote in message ...
Hello all,

Is there any way to specifically set shortcut keys to buttons
(programmatically or by tweaking the registry even)? I would like to
set Excel's "Format Painter"
and "Center" buttons to the same key combos as Word's (Ctrl + Shift +
C) and (Ctrl + E).

Unfortunately, Excel isn't as resilient as Word when it comes to
assigning hot key combos (for those that don't know, please check out
this pictu
http://home.att.net/~ctbarbarin/file...e_keyboard.jpg). Word
lists every command, what the command does, and all key combos already
assigned to it and allows you to add new key combos to existing ones.

FYI: I'm using MS Word & Excel 2002 SP3 (MS Office XP SP3)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.setup
Conan Kelly

David,

Thanks for the reply. What I want to do is assign key combos to
existing commands that I use often. I don't want to create new macros
doing the same thing that existing commands/buttons already do.

Also, as far as I can tell, I can only assign key combos during
recording of a macro. A lot of the macros I create, I do it from
scratch. I hardly ever record macros. The only time I record macros
is to get code samples to use in macros I'm developing.

Another thing, what if I record a macro (we'll call it Macro1) and
assign a key combo to it at the time (say Ctrl + Shift + P). Then
later on, I decide to change the name of the macro (to
ListUniqueValues). Will Excel recognize the name change? In other
words, every time I press Ctrl + Shift + P, will Excel try to run
Macro1 (which may not exist anymore or be a different macro) or will
it know to run ListUniqueValues?

When assigning key combos at recording time, it looks like the combo
has to include Ctrl and can not include Alt. That would be okay for
the two commands that I want to assign hot keys to, but it would be
nice to have a little more flexibility for other stuff.

What if I have already assigned a key combo to a macro and then
realize that it might be more meaningful for another macro or that a
different key combo would be more meaningful for this macro (I want to
reassign it)? Can it be reassigned?

Once again, thanks for all of your help,

Conan

+