Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Filter and/or remove Names

I have a list of names with matching corresponding companies (6,800 rows).
There are duplicate names and I need to do a mail merge, but don't want the
letter to generate for the same party multiple times. How to filter where I
can see each name only once. there are too many rows to go through and
delete all duplicates.

Thanks in advance,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

See Debra Dalgleish's site for instructions of advanced filter for unique
items.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xladvfi....html#FilterUR

Scroll down a bit to see how to extract to a new worksheet for your
mailmerge.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:19:01 -0700, bronxbabe
wrote:

I have a list of names with matching corresponding companies (6,800 rows).
There are duplicate names and I need to do a mail merge, but don't want the
letter to generate for the same party multiple times. How to filter where I
can see each name only once. there are too many rows to go through and
delete all duplicates.

Thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Use 'Advanced Filter'.

1. Click [Data] tab, [Sort & Filter] Group.
2. Click [Advanced].
3. Choose [Copy to another location].
4. Set[List range] to "companies' name scope".
5. Set [Copy to] to "the first cell of result scope".
6. Check [Unique records only].
7. Click [OK].