Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Excel Toolbars and Macros in Vista

I have installed Micorsoft Office 2000 on a new computer running Vista Home
Premium, having formerly run under XP. I've copied Excel.xlb and
Personal.xls. My toolbars show OK. They incude a number of Macros as Toobar
buttons but when I click on one I get a message "A document with the name
Perosnal.xls is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same
name' etc. I can't find extra copies of Personal.xls anywhere so I am unsure
what I need to do to solve this issue. Would appreicate some advice so I can
avoid having to re-do the Macros.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

First, find all your personal.xls files and move them somewhere safe.

Windows start button|Search

Then start excel
Hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE (where macros live)
hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window

Type this:
?application.startuppath

Make a note of where this is and put your real personal.xls in that folder.

========
If the *.xlb file isn't in the parent folder of this startuppath, you should
move (not copy) it there.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Have the tried the advice offered but to no avail. There is only one copy of
Personal.xls that I can find, located in the Excel StartUp folder under
Users. Xlb is in the parent folder of that one but I still get the same error
message.

Boris of Adelaide wrote:

I have installed Micorsoft Office 2000 on a new computer running Vista Home
Premium, having formerly run under XP. I've copied Excel.xlb and
Personal.xls. My toolbars show OK. They incude a number of Macros as Toobar
buttons but when I click on one I get a message "A document with the name
Perosnal.xls is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same
name' etc. I can't find extra copies of Personal.xls anywhere so I am unsure
what I need to do to solve this issue. Would appreicate some advice so I can
avoid having to re-do the Macros.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

If you rightclick on the offending buttons, what are the macros assigned
to--what workbook and what folder?

Saved from a previous post:

Your life will become much simpler if you include code to create the toolbar
when the workbook is opened and include code to destroy the toolbar when the
workbook is closed.

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

In xl2007, those toolbars and menu modifications will show up under the addins.

And if you use xl2007:

If you want to learn about modifying the ribbon, you can start at Ron de Bruin's
site:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm
http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- For macros for all workbooks (saved as an
addin)
or
http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007addin.htm

Boris of Adelaide wrote:

I have installed Micorsoft Office 2000 on a new computer running Vista Home
Premium, having formerly run under XP. I've copied Excel.xlb and
Personal.xls. My toolbars show OK. They incude a number of Macros as Toobar
buttons but when I click on one I get a message "A document with the name
Perosnal.xls is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same
name' etc. I can't find extra copies of Personal.xls anywhere so I am unsure
what I need to do to solve this issue. Would appreicate some advice so I can
avoid having to re-do the Macros.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Here's what it looks like:
Sub Income()
'
' Income Macro
' Macro recorded 28/05/2005 by David Kilner
'

'
ChDir "C:\Excel-General\HouseholdAccounts"
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Excel-General\HouseholdAccounts\Income.xls"
End Sub

I'm still running Excel 2000.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If you rightclick on the offending buttons, what are the macros assigned
to--what workbook and what folder?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

That's what the macro looks like.

But what is shown when you look to see what's assigned to the button--does it
include a path and file--and is that different from what you expect.

If you've created this button manually, you could have a trouble each time the
file that contains the assigned macro is moved or renamed.

I'd create that toolbar via code when the file opens and destroy the toolbar
when the file closes.

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

In xl2007, those toolbars and menu modifications will show up under the addins.

========
You could create a utility workbook that consists of nothing but macros (subs
and functions) and put it in your XLStart folder. Then this file will open when
excel opens and close when excel closes.

Boris of Adelaide wrote:

Here's what it looks like:
Sub Income()
'