Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old January 8th 05, 02:17 PM
Kane
 
Posts: n/a
Default List, Data Validation, unlocked cell, protected sheet.....

I have a unlocked cell, with Data Validation, List. With sheet protection
activated I cannot "add" to the cell contents supplied from the List
function. If sheet protection is off, this is possable. Is there a way to
have this feature with sheet protection turned on (activated)?

  #2   Report Post  
Old January 8th 05, 02:21 PM
JulieD
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi Kane

are you saying that in say cell A1 you have a drop down list created via
data validation ... you're clicked on this cell and chosen format / cells /
protection - and unchecked locked
and then when you choose tools / protection / protect sheet you can't make a
selection from the drop down list in A1?

if so, this is definitely not the standard behaviour of excel, so:
what version / service packs etc (help / about microsoft excel)?
if you test the same scenario in a new workbook what happens?
is there anything odd or unusual about the list (is it create using a range
name, or have you typed the entries into the source line in the data /
validation dialog box - not that it should make a difference)?

Cheers
JulieD



"Kane" wrote in message
...
I have a unlocked cell, with Data Validation, List. With sheet protection
activated I cannot "add" to the cell contents supplied from the List
function. If sheet protection is off, this is possable. Is there a way to
have this feature with sheet protection turned on (activated)?



  #3   Report Post  
Old January 8th 05, 04:46 PM
Debra Dalgleish
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If the sheet is protected, you can't change the cell's Data Validation.
So, if you typed the list in the Data Validation dialog box, you won't
be able to modify the list.
Instead, you could use a dynamic list on an unprotected sheet, and add
entries to that list. There are instructions here for a dynamic range:

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

And for using a name in data validation:

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html

Kane wrote:
I have a unlocked cell, with Data Validation, List. With sheet protection
activated I cannot "add" to the cell contents supplied from the List
function. If sheet protection is off, this is possable. Is there a way to
have this feature with sheet protection turned on (activated)?



--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  #4   Report Post  
Old January 8th 05, 04:53 PM
Kane
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Julie... XL2K,sp3
Last assumption is wrong. after protect sheet, I can make cell selection
from the list, but after I have made that, I would like to be able to enter
additional comments in that cell. If the sheet is not protected, I can do
this! I need sheet protection activated.

Rgds .... Kane

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi Kane

are you saying that in say cell A1 you have a drop down list created via
data validation ... you're clicked on this cell and chosen format / cells /
protection - and unchecked locked
and then when you choose tools / protection / protect sheet you can't make a
selection from the drop down list in A1?

if so, this is definitely not the standard behaviour of excel, so:
what version / service packs etc (help / about microsoft excel)?
if you test the same scenario in a new workbook what happens?
is there anything odd or unusual about the list (is it create using a range
name, or have you typed the entries into the source line in the data /
validation dialog box - not that it should make a difference)?

Cheers
JulieD



"Kane" wrote in message
...
I have a unlocked cell, with Data Validation, List. With sheet protection
activated I cannot "add" to the cell contents supplied from the List
function. If sheet protection is off, this is possable. Is there a way to
have this feature with sheet protection turned on (activated)?




  #5   Report Post  
Old January 8th 05, 05:33 PM
Kane
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Debra..
All 13 sheets in the workbook must be protected. Is what you say still
applicable?

Tks ... Kane


"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

If the sheet is protected, you can't change the cell's Data Validation.
So, if you typed the list in the Data Validation dialog box, you won't
be able to modify the list.
Instead, you could use a dynamic list on an unprotected sheet, and add
entries to that list. There are instructions here for a dynamic range:

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

And for using a name in data validation:

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html

Kane wrote:
I have a unlocked cell, with Data Validation, List. With sheet protection
activated I cannot "add" to the cell contents supplied from the List
function. If sheet protection is off, this is possable. Is there a way to
have this feature with sheet protection turned on (activated)?



--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html




  #6   Report Post  
Old January 8th 05, 10:39 PM
Debra Dalgleish
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Perhaps you could insert a new sheet into the workbook, and enter the
list on that sheet. Leave it unprotected, so new items can be added.

Kane wrote:
Debra..
All 13 sheets in the workbook must be protected. Is what you say still
applicable?

Tks ... Kane


"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:


If the sheet is protected, you can't change the cell's Data Validation.
So, if you typed the list in the Data Validation dialog box, you won't
be able to modify the list.
Instead, you could use a dynamic list on an unprotected sheet, and add
entries to that list. There are instructions here for a dynamic range:

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

And for using a name in data validation:

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html

Kane wrote:

I have a unlocked cell, with Data Validation, List. With sheet protection
activated I cannot "add" to the cell contents supplied from the List
function. If sheet protection is off, this is possable. Is there a way to
have this feature with sheet protection turned on (activated)?



--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html





--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  #7   Report Post  
Old July 16th 12, 09:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
Default List, Data Validation, unlocked cell, protected sheet.....

Informatics Outsourcing is an Offshore Data Management service company. Data Management Service includes all types of Data Conversion, File Conversion, XML Conversion, HTML Conversion,SGML Conversion, Document Conversion,Data Entry, Data Extraction and Validation,OCR and ICR Services with affordable price. Our team to give the solution quickly and given requirements.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto scroll down data validation list [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 January 28th 05 06:44 PM
Transfer data from sheet to sheet Jenn Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 January 20th 05 03:07 PM
How do i enter a note in excel to an unlocked cell on a protected. Kev Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 January 17th 05 11:17 PM
Data Validation Window? Ken Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 January 11th 05 10:48 PM
Data Validation List =Name Pitbull Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 December 30th 04 06:43 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017