Kev

Default How do i enter a note in excel to an unlocked cell on a protected.

I have a protected work sheet that has a range of cells unlocked for users to
log into an update. Because the worksheet is protected the user can not add
a note to the unlocked cell unless the protection is removed - which defeats
the object of protection. Is there a way round this?
Dave Peterson

You may be able to just protect the worksheet and allow the users to edit
Objects.

In xl2002,
tools|protection|protect sheet
Near the bottom of the list of what you can allow users to do is: Edit Objects.

Earlier versions had the same option as a checkmark ont that worksheet
protection dialog box (IIRC).

But this may not work for you--if you have objects (pictures/shapes/buttons/etc)
that shouldn't be changed.

An alternative would be to provide a macro that asks for the comment text,
unlocks the worksheet, adds the comment and then reprotects the worksheet.

--

Dave Peterson