Frank

Default very annoying problem Please help

Hi,
I am very upset, sorry
I am sure this is simple for most, but. I use excel more as a database. I do
not use many formulas etc. And it serves me well.
Excel 2003 why can I NOT paste a number into a cell???? without excel
messing with it. ex: 123497865 I want that pasted exactly as it looks. I
have tried all 4 paste options. It's driving me crazy.
I want excel to do magic whebn I choose, is this not possible?
Sucks really
Luke

Frank

Sorry for all this but I am so very stressed, I have work to do, just some
lists with relavant data. No problem in excel 97. Anyway, obviously it is
some sort of preference or sometging. I have all set to defaults. I cannot
even type in a 18 digit number without this 7.40E+22
Please shoot me
Luke

"Frank" wrote in message
I am very upset, sorry
I am sure this is simple for most, but. I use excel more as a database. I
do not use many formulas etc. And it serves me well.
Excel 2003 why can I NOT paste a number into a cell???? without excel
messing with it. ex: 123497865 I want that pasted exactly as it looks. I
have tried all 4 paste options. It's driving me crazy.
I want excel to do magic whebn I choose, is this not possible?
Sucks really
Luke

Frank

It says General, even a brand new worksheet, but still numbers get changed
to scientif format, ????????? cell is not too short
luke the pest ready to commit suicide

"Frank" wrote in message
I am very upset, sorry
I am sure this is simple for most, but. I use excel more as a database.
I do not use many formulas etc. And it serves me well.
Excel 2003 why can I NOT paste a number into a cell???? without excel
messing with it. ex: 123497865 I want that pasted exactly as it looks. I
have tried all 4 paste options. It's driving me crazy.
I want excel to do magic whebn I choose, is this not possible?
Sucks really
Luke

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Wow, Frank. Cool a bit before you have a coronary. Format your cell as a
number with 0 places after the decimal point. I've also had it work with no
formatting for the content but made the cell just a bit bigger.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Frank" wrote in message
I am very upset, sorry
I am sure this is simple for most, but. I use excel more as a database.
I do not use many formulas etc. And it serves me well.
Excel 2003 why can I NOT paste a number into a cell???? without excel
messing with it. ex: 123497865 I want that pasted exactly as it looks.
I have tried all 4 paste options. It's driving me crazy.
I want excel to do magic whebn I choose, is this not possible?
Sucks really
Luke

Ragdyer

You mentioned 18 digit numbers.

XL can only work with 15 digits.
That's *true* numbers ... numbers to be used in calculations.

If you're using your numbers as text, like in credit card numbers, with no
calculations connected to them, you can *pre-format* the cells as "text",
OR, on an individual cell by cell basis, you could prefix each entry with an
apostrophe, which will be visible in the formula bar, but will not show in
the cells.
In that kind of format, you could use *any* number of digits that you'll
need.

--
HTH,

RD

"Frank" wrote in message
I am very upset, sorry
I am sure this is simple for most, but. I use excel more as a

database.
I do not use many formulas etc. And it serves me well.
Excel 2003 why can I NOT paste a number into a cell???? without excel
messing with it. ex: 123497865 I want that pasted exactly as it looks.

have tried all 4 paste options. It's driving me crazy.
I want excel to do magic whebn I choose, is this not possible?
Sucks really
Luke

Frank

Joanne and Ragdyer,
thanks for the responses. Sorry for the excitement, was very upset. I did
try format as text but it didn't work. That's what set me off I think.But I
went back after closing it and now it works. I figured text was OK and I
knew the cell had to big enough. must have left something somewhere in the
sheet or somethingh. Anyway I now have the greenflag telling me their is an
error. I figured I should choose it is text as a number , ignore?
Anyway thanks so much I have alot to learn and I will
Frank

"Frank" wrote in message
I am very upset, sorry
I am sure this is simple for most, but. I use excel more as a

database.
I do not use many formulas etc. And it serves me well.
Excel 2003 why can I NOT paste a number into a cell???? without excel
messing with it. ex: 123497865 I want that pasted exactly as it
looks.

have tried all 4 paste options. It's driving me crazy.
I want excel to do magic whebn I choose, is this not possible?
Sucks really
Luke

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Without knowing what the purpose of that column is, we can't answer that.
Take a look at your data and then decide whether it's safe to do that.

Good luck - and I'm glad to see that you've finally taken a breath. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Frank" wrote in message
I am very upset, sorry
I am sure this is simple for most, but. I use excel more as a

database.
I do not use many formulas etc. And it serves me well.
Excel 2003 why can I NOT paste a number into a cell???? without
excel
messing with it. ex: 123497865 I want that pasted exactly as it
looks.

have tried all 4 paste options. It's driving me crazy.
I want excel to do magic whebn I choose, is this not possible?
Sucks really
Luke

Frank

Yes, I know about the breath, needed it. JoAnn Thanks so much for your help
and I will be back, but relaxed, as I read on and learn. I am new to excel
in it's original purpose, easy to see I am sure. I have a few MS certs but
primarily desktop support and some networking. I am starting on a journey on
which I hope to obtain a good working knowledge of Excel and Access. I am
determined. We have 97 at work, ugh. I have 2003 pro at home, had 2000 for a
few years before that.
Anyway, thanks again
Frank

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
You mentioned 18 digit numbers.

XL can only work with 15 digits.
That's *true* numbers ... numbers to be used in calculations.

If you're using your numbers as text, like in credit card numbers, with
no
calculations connected to them, you can *pre-format* the cells as
"text",
OR, on an individual cell by cell basis, you could prefix each entry
with
an
apostrophe, which will be visible in the formula bar, but will not show
in
the cells.
In that kind of format, you could use *any* number of digits that you'll
need.

--
HTH,

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!