JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Without knowing what the purpose of that column is, we can't answer that.
Take a look at your data and then decide whether it's safe to do that.

Good luck - and I'm glad to see that you've finally taken a breath. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Frank" wrote in message
Joanne and Ragdyer,
thanks for the responses. Sorry for the excitement, was very upset. I did
try format as text but it didn't work. That's what set me off I think.But
went back after closing it and now it works. I figured text was OK and I
knew the cell had to big enough. must have left something somewhere in the
sheet or somethingh. Anyway I now have the greenflag telling me their is
an
error. I figured I should choose it is text as a number , ignore?
Anyway thanks so much I have alot to learn and I will
Frank

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
You mentioned 18 digit numbers.

XL can only work with 15 digits.
That's *true* numbers ... numbers to be used in calculations.

If you're using your numbers as text, like in credit card numbers, with
no
calculations connected to them, you can *pre-format* the cells as "text",
OR, on an individual cell by cell basis, you could prefix each entry with
an
apostrophe, which will be visible in the formula bar, but will not show
in
the cells.
In that kind of format, you could use *any* number of digits that you'll
need.

--
HTH,

RD

"Frank" wrote in message
It says General, even a brand new worksheet, but still numbers get
changed
to scientif format, ????????? cell is not too short
luke the pest ready to commit suicide

"Frank" wrote in message
Sorry for all this but I am so very stressed, I have work to do, just

some
lists with relavant data. No problem in excel 97. Anyway, obviously it

is
some sort of preference or sometging. I have all set to defaults. I

cannot
even type in a 18 digit number without this 7.40E+22
Please shoot me
Luke
"Frank" wrote in message
Sorry, forgot. I also tried ALL formats of the cells,rows. etc. I
want
this I get stuff like this 7.4019E+22, not the numbers
thanks
Luke

"Frank" wrote in message
I am very upset, sorry
I am sure this is simple for most, but. I use excel more as a

database.
I do not use many formulas etc. And it serves me well.
Excel 2003 why can I NOT paste a number into a cell???? without
excel
messing with it. ex: 123497865 I want that pasted exactly as it
looks.

have tried all 4 paste options. It's driving me crazy.
I want excel to do magic whebn I choose, is this not possible?
Sucks really
Luke