Junior Member

Default Formatting based on one cell

Hello! I am trying to format an entire row based on the text value of a single cell (bold and top border). I tried conditional formatting with the formula =$M="T" but it does not seem to be working. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.
Senior Member

Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaori View Post
Hello! I am trying to format an entire row based on the text value of a single cell (bold and top border). I tried conditional formatting with the formula =$M="T" but it does not seem to be working. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.
<<<<< HELP from BRAZIL

Dear Kaori, Good Afternoon.

When using Conditional Formatting you need to point to a Cell.

Example:
The 3 row will be formated based on Conditional Formatting
The criteria will be the value of M10 cell.

Then select the row 3, go to conditional formating and the fórmula is: =$M$10="T". Select the desired lay-out. OK

Tell me if it worked for you.

Have a nice day.
__________________
I hope it can help you.

Best regards,
Marcilio Lobão
---------------------------
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzaropi View Post
<<<<< HELP from BRAZIL

When using Conditional Formatting you need to point to a Cell.

Example:
The 3 row will be formated based on Conditional Formatting
The criteria will be the value of M10 cell.

Then select the row 3, go to conditional formating and the fórmula is: =$M$10="T". Select the desired lay-out. OK
I tried what was recommended and it is still not formatting as I desire. I also meant to write "=$M2="T". This is what I put in the formula under conditional formatting. This is for a table which is about 700 rows long and 30 columns wide. The M column has either T, tx, or ext and I would like all the rows that have "T" in the M column to be bolded with a border up top.
Thank you for your reply and help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I would first select all the cells in the range....30 cols x 700 rows.

Then enter your formula in "use a formula".

=$M2="T"

Format as you like.

Gord

On Tue, 8 May 2012 20:26:11 +0000, kaori
wrote:

Mazzaropi;1601617 Wrote:
<<<<< *HELP from BRAZIL*

When using Conditional Formatting you need to point to a Cell.

*Example:*
The *3* row will be formated based on Conditional Formatting
The criteria will be the value of M10 cell.

Then select the row 3, go to conditional formating and the fórmula is:
=$M$10="T". Select the desired lay-out. OK

I tried what was recommended and it is still not formatting as I desire.
I also meant to write "=$M2="T". This is what I put in the formula under
conditional formatting. This is for a table which is about 700 rows long
and 30 columns wide. The M column has either T, tx, or ext and I would
like all the rows that have "T" in the M column to be bolded with a
border up top.
Thank you for your reply and help.

Junior Member

Thank you! The formula worked! I also realized that it might not have been working because I was trying to do 2 formatting tasks at once. It worked better when I did the bold in one formula and the border line in another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Dibben[_2_] View Post
I would first select all the cells in the range....30 cols x 700 rows.

Then enter your formula in "use a formula".

=$M2="T"

Format as you like.

Gord

On Tue, 8 May 2012 20:26:11 +0000, kaori
wrote:

Mazzaropi;1601617 Wrote:
<<<<< *HELP from BRAZIL*

When using Conditional Formatting you need to point to a Cell.

*Example:*
The *3* row will be formated based on Conditional Formatting
The criteria will be the value of M10 cell.

Then select the row 3, go to conditional formating and the fórmula is:
=$M$10="T". Select the desired lay-out. OK

I tried what was recommended and it is still not formatting as I desire.
I also meant to write "=$M2="T". This is what I put in the formula under
conditional formatting. This is for a table which is about 700 rows long
and 30 columns wide. The M column has either T, tx, or ext and I would
like all the rows that have "T" in the M column to be bolded with a
border up top.
Thank you for your reply and help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Having bold and colored for the same condition does not mean you have
to have seperate formulas.

You may have had both row and column Absolute........$M$2........when
you just need the column Absolute...........$M2 so all rows will look
at column M

Gord