Mifty

Default linked spreadsheets

Hi,
I'm not sure that my subject line describes exactly what I want to know. But
here goes.... I've been asked to set up a spread sheet (Source) linked to
several destination spreadsheets (don't know if linked is the right word or
not). The idea is that standard data can get pulled from the source
spreadsheet by entering a formula into a cell in each one of the destination
spreadsheets. Hope this makes sense and that some kind soul can help me!
--
Mifty
CLR

This formula will "link-in" the value in cell A1 of the Excel file named
TestBook.xls located in C:\ directory. The file TestBook.xls does not have
to be open for this to occur. Modify the components of the formula to fit
your situation.

='C:\[TestBook.xls]Sheet1'!A1

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Mifty" wrote in message
I'm not sure that my subject line describes exactly what I want to know.

But
here goes.... I've been asked to set up a spread sheet (Source) linked to
several destination spreadsheets (don't know if linked is the right word

or
not). The idea is that standard data can get pulled from the source
spreadsheet by entering a formula into a cell in each one of the

destination
spreadsheets. Hope this makes sense and that some kind soul can help me!
--
Mifty

Bill Ridgeway

At a basic level you can do what you've been asked to do. Open up all,the
spreadsheets. Go to a destination cell. Type in "=" (without quotes). Go to
the source cell and press enter. You have now created a link which will
read the value of one cell to another.

There are however, some inherent flaws in this approach of having several
spreadsheets. The link is absolute. If the structure of the source
spreadsheet changes the link will be to a blank cell or, worse still to a
cell with a (incorrect) value. it is much better, if at all possible to
have all data as separate worksheets within a single spreadsheet. In that
way any changes in structure are automatically changed throughout.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Mifty" wrote in message
I'm not sure that my subject line describes exactly what I want to know.
But
here goes.... I've been asked to set up a spread sheet (Source) linked to
several destination spreadsheets (don't know if linked is the right word
or
not). The idea is that standard data can get pulled from the source
spreadsheet by entering a formula into a cell in each one of the
destination
spreadsheets. Hope this makes sense and that some kind soul can help me!
--
Mifty

Mifty

Hi Chuck and Bill,

Haven't had time to check out your suggestions but thanks for the quick
response.
Will get back to you after I've had a 'play'
Cheers
--
Mifty

"Mifty" wrote in message
I'm not sure that my subject line describes exactly what I want to know.
But
here goes.... I've been asked to set up a spread sheet (Source) linked to
several destination spreadsheets (don't know if linked is the right word
or
not). The idea is that standard data can get pulled from the source
spreadsheet by entering a formula into a cell in each one of the
destination
spreadsheets. Hope this makes sense and that some kind soul can help me!
--
Mifty

JethroUK©

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
At a basic level you can do what you've been asked to do. Open up all,the
spreadsheets. Go to a destination cell. Type in "=" (without quotes). Go

the source cell and press enter. You have now created a link which will
read the value of one cell to another.

whilst this works with all previous versions of XL and is 'still' the
documented method for creating an external link, there is a bug in the Excel
XP (see my post on 18/8) and it is unreliable

this being the most fundimental usage of XL, i'm amazed and disgusted that
microsoft haven't fixed it

"Mifty" wrote in message
I'm not sure that my subject line describes exactly what I want to know.
But
here goes.... I've been asked to set up a spread sheet (Source) linked

several destination spreadsheets (don't know if linked is the right word
or
not). The idea is that standard data can get pulled from the source
spreadsheet by entering a formula into a cell in each one of the
destination
spreadsheets. Hope this makes sense and that some kind soul can help me!
--
Mifty

Route2391

you can do that just select the proper function then select the
destination cell in the other sheet easy

I got a lot of my begginer help on this site... cool
They teach you by making a, Time sheet, Invoice and cheek book from
scratch on Windows media Player very cool

www.MDOTutorials.com

--
Route2391
Route2391's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26774