JethroUK©

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
At a basic level you can do what you've been asked to do. Open up all,the
spreadsheets. Go to a destination cell. Type in "=" (without quotes). Go

the source cell and press enter. You have now created a link which will
read the value of one cell to another.

whilst this works with all previous versions of XL and is 'still' the
documented method for creating an external link, there is a bug in the Excel
XP (see my post on 18/8) and it is unreliable

this being the most fundimental usage of XL, i'm amazed and disgusted that
microsoft haven't fixed it

There are however, some inherent flaws in this approach of having several
spreadsheets. The link is absolute. If the structure of the source
spreadsheet changes the link will be to a blank cell or, worse still to a
cell with a (incorrect) value. it is much better, if at all possible to
have all data as separate worksheets within a single spreadsheet. In that
way any changes in structure are automatically changed throughout.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Mifty" wrote in message
I'm not sure that my subject line describes exactly what I want to know.
But
here goes.... I've been asked to set up a spread sheet (Source) linked

several destination spreadsheets (don't know if linked is the right word
or
not). The idea is that standard data can get pulled from the source
spreadsheet by entering a formula into a cell in each one of the
destination
spreadsheets. Hope this makes sense and that some kind soul can help me!
--
Mifty