kevhatch

Default Golf scorecard again

Is there a formula for this?
Stableford Golf Scores.
To work out a players total points based on their handicap.

Each hole is handicapped (Stroke Index 1-18). The players handicap
indicates the hole upon which he can deduct a stroke,
ie. Players handicap is -4, he deducts a stroke on each of the first four
handicapped holes.
If his handicap is -28, he deducts a stroke on each hole, 1-18 and an
additional stroke on holes handicapped 1 thru 10. (His handicap minus 18).
Players handicaps run from -0 to -28.

Points are scored as follows:
1 over par= 1pt
par= 2pt
1 under par= 3pt
2 under par= 4pt
3 under par= 5pt

I have started one based on a 28 handicap which I think is correct, and
posted it he

http://www.flypicture.com?display=updone&id=qtr1m6U=

Is there a way it can be worked with variable Stroke Indexes (for different
courses) and handicaps (different players)?
Sounds impossible to me but I'm sure you guys can figure it out.
Thx

kevhatch

That link isn't working, try this one:
http://www.flypicture.com?display=updone&id=qtr0k6g=

Max

One play ..

Put in D6:
=IF(C6="",0,IF(C$4<$B6-18,C6-2,C6-1))

Put in E6:
=IF(D6=0,0,IF(OR(C$3-D6<-1,C$3-D63),0,VLOOKUP(C$3-D6,{-1,1;0,2;1,3;2,4;3,5}
,2)))

Select D6:E6 and copy / paste to G6:H6, J6:K6, M6:N6, P6:Q6, S6:T6, V6:W6,
Y6:Z6, AB6:AC6

Then just select D6:AD6 and fill down as many rows as required (but erase
all the dummy scores in row 6 first)

Sample file with the implemented construct available at:
http://www.savefile.com/files/8674458
File: GolfScoreCard_kevhatch_newusers_1.xls
--
Rgds
Max
"kevhatch" wrote in message
[...]

kevhatch

Thx Max,
That works great with a 28 handicap. Is there a way it can be made to work
if the h/cap were variable, as they can change for each player from time to
time?

Players handicap of:
1 to 18 allowed 1stroke only on stroke index holes corresponding to their
h/cap.
i.e. player h/cap of 3 allowed one stroke on holes of s/index 1 - 3 etc.

Players handicap of:
19 to 28 allowed 1 stroke on all 18 holes, in addition to 1 extra stroke on
each of the hardest holes corresponding to their h/cap.
i.e. player h/cap of 22 allowed one stroke for each hole plus one extra
stroke on holes of s/index 1 - 4 etc.
Thx again

"kevhatch" wrote in message
[...]

Max

.. made to work if the h/cap were variable ..

Thought variable handicaps (besides variable par and stroke indexes) was
already catered for in the suggested formulas, no? (Based, of course, on a
best effort interp of the complexities posed by a non-golfer <g)

In the sample file provided, in Sheet1, try inputting other handicaps (but
with the same dummy scores for easy comparison) on subsequent rows 7 - 10
(I've pre-loaded the formulas to row10). Also keep the other 2 variables,
par and the stroke indexes unchanged to comparison. Check whether the
formula returns are as expected for a couple of test h/cap cases. Try it and
post back.
--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----
"kevhatch" wrote in message
Thx Max,
That works great with a 28 handicap. Is there a way it can be , as they

can change for each player from time to
time?

Players handicap of:
1 to 18 allowed 1stroke only on stroke index holes corresponding to their
h/cap.
i.e. player h/cap of 3 allowed one stroke on holes of s/index 1 - 3 etc.

Players handicap of:
19 to 28 allowed 1 stroke on all 18 holes, in addition to 1 extra stroke

on
each of the hardest holes corresponding to their h/cap.
i.e. player h/cap of 22 allowed one stroke for each hole plus one extra
stroke on holes of s/index 1 - 4 etc.
Thx again

Max

Typo in line:
.. Also keep the other 2 variables, par and the stroke indexes
unchanged to comparison...

2nd part should read:
unchanged to aid comparison...

--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

kevhatch

ok max, thx. sorry to be a pain.
I have applied and tested the formula and found a few discrepencies.
Uploaded he

http://www.savefile.com/files/4982248

Table 1 shows:
what the extra shot allowance should be per hole according to players h/cap
and the stroke index of each hole.

Table 2 is showing the formula results. Discrepencies being the blue figures.

Hope all this makes sense.
Thx
Kev

"Max" wrote:

Typo in line:
.. Also keep the other 2 variables, par and the stroke indexes
unchanged to comparison...

2nd part should read:
unchanged to aid comparison...

--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

Biff

Hi!

I tried downloading your file from the link you posted but it didn't work.
Bad link?

I was able to download Max's file.....

Is that how your file is laid out?

UGH! <vbg

I have a sample file that does what you want. Handles hdcps from 0 to 54 and
includes the modified Stableford scoring system.

Here's a link:

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...M05IB3HJHRNUJS

That link expires in 7 days or 25 DL's, whichever occurs first.

Biff

"kevhatch" wrote in message
ok max, thx. sorry to be a pain.
I have applied and tested the formula and found a few discrepencies.
Uploaded he

http://www.savefile.com/files/4982248

Table 1 shows:
what the extra shot allowance should be per hole according to players
h/cap
and the stroke index of each hole.

Table 2 is showing the formula results. Discrepencies being the blue
figures.

Hope all this makes sense.
Thx
Kev

"Max" wrote:

Typo in line:
.. Also keep the other 2 variables, par and the stroke indexes
unchanged to comparison...

2nd part should read:
unchanged to aid comparison...

--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

Max

Thanks for the clarification, Kev. Ok, thought it more straightforward to
just use your Table 1 (the one with the correct shot allowances) as a
reference source, and revise the earlier formula in D6 to read the figures
direct from Table 1 instead, via an INDEX(...,MATCH(...),MATCH(...)).

Here's the revised sample file: http://www.savefile.com/files/7533806
File: GolfScoreCard_kevhatch_newusers_2.xls

The revised construct hence reads as:

Put in D6:
=IF(C6="",0,C6-INDEX(Chk!$A:$S,MATCH($B6,Chk!$A:$A,0),MATCH(C$4,C hk!$A$5:$S$
5,0)))

(revised formula in D6, Table 1 is in sheet: Chk)

Put in E6:
=IF(D6=0,0,IF(OR(C$3-D6<-1,C$3-D63),0,VLOOKUP(C$3-D6,{-1,1;0,2;1,3;2,4;3,5}
,2)))

(no change to formula in E6)

Select D6:E6 and copy / paste to G6:H6, J6:K6, M6:N6, P6:Q6, S6:T6, V6:W6,
Y6:Z6, AB6:AC6

Then just select D6:AD6 and fill down as many rows as required (Erase all