horatio

Default Count the frequency of all numbers in a column

I have a large column of numbers. I need to make a list of all the numbers
that are in that column and how often each appears. The result should be
three columns: original unsorted number list, list of numbers found, how
often each number is present in descending order.
I've tried COUNT, COUNTA, FREQUENCY, INDEX, MATCH and just can't get seem to
get it.
Much thanks to anyone who can help!!

Gary Brown

ASSUME:
The original unsorted number list is in range C2:C11

1) Make sure that the original unsorted number list has a title/heading.
(cell C2)
2) highlight the number list including title/heading. (C2:C11)
3) Select
DATA / FILTER / ADVANCED FILTER
4) Click on the 'Copy to another location' Action button
5) Click in the 'List Range' range box to activate it
6) Highlight your original unsorted number list if it is not already shown
in the 'List Range range box. (C2:C11)
7) Click in the 'Copy To' range box to activate it
8) Click 2 columns to the left of your original unsorted number list (cell E2)
9) Click on the 'Unique Records only' button
10) Sort the resulting list as desired.
11) If cell F3, enter the following formula and then copy it down...
=COUNTIF($C$2:$C$11,E3)
where $C$2:$C$11 (note the absolutes $$) is the original unsorted number list
where E3 is the first number in the new Unique Records Only list

HTH,
Gary Brown

"horatio" wrote:

I have a large column of numbers. I need to make a list of all the numbers
that are in that column and how often each appears. The result should be
three columns: original unsorted number list, list of numbers found, how
often each number is present in descending order.
I've tried COUNT, COUNTA, FREQUENCY, INDEX, MATCH and just can't get seem to
get it.
Much thanks to anyone who can help!!

Rodney

G'day Horatio,
I employ this query state, constantly in my Thoroughbred Spreadsheet.
I copy and paste Data to an MSWorks Database ($10 ebay)
with a dedicated simple "Report" set up,
which is about a six click procedure.

I just post this as FYI, in case you may be interested in workarounds.
The only downside being Works has only 30,000 records parameter.