Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I make a negative balance automatically appear in red?

I have created a budget worksheet. I want a positive balance to appear in
black (got this one) and a negative balance to appear in red. How do I set up
the negative balance to appear in red?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

In EXCEL 2007:-

1. Highlight the range that you wish your formatting to apply to (for
example C 1 to C 5).

2. Home / Conditional Formatting / New Rule / select:-

Format only cells that contain

- in here by clicking it.

3. Then change:-

Format only cells with:

- to read:-

less than 0

4. Click on:-

Format

- and change the:-

Color:

- to red.

Hit OK and OK again.

5. Save the file if required.

Now any negative balances appearing in C 1 to C 5 will appear in red.

You can test this out by entering sums into cells A 1 to B 5.

Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.

Thanks.

"LopezMom" wrote:

I have created a budget worksheet. I want a positive balance to appear in
black (got this one) and a negative balance to appear in red. How do I set up
the negative balance to appear in red?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Conditional formatting.

Select you range of cells where you want this to happen

In 2007 - Home tab - Styles - Cond Formatting - Highlight cells rules - less
than - input zero - select you format - ok

I'm rusty now with 2003 but it's something like Format - cond format - value
is - less than - input 0 - select format - ok. Or similar.

Use help and search Conditional formatting.

--
Russell Dawson
Excel student

"LopezMom" wrote:

I have created a budget worksheet. I want a positive balance to appear in
black (got this one) and a negative balance to appear in red. How do I set up
the negative balance to appear in red?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Can't you just "right click" the mouse in the cell (column or row) you want
to format, choose "format cells", and pick the style of how you want to
format your negative numbers.

cmckeever

"LopezMom" wrote in message
I have created a budget worksheet. I want a positive balance to appear in
black (got this one) and a negative balance to appear in red. How do I set
up
the negative balance to appear in red?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It's amazing how sometimes one can miss the simple things! Another
successful lesson for me.
--
Russell Dawson
Excel student