Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
mz mz is offline

Default Referenced cell displays formula, not data

I downloaded a form template and linked it to my data; when I use the = sign
to insert my data into the template, some €“ though not all €“ cells display
the formula of the cell reference rather than the data that is actually
contained in the cell

Example:
Cell D10 in datasheet contains text; instead of displaying the text in the
template, it shows the following formula that is the reference address:
='[data sheet.xlsx]'!$D$10

--
MZ
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Press CNTRL + TILDE Key whch is available above the Left Tab Key.

Tilde key (`) or (~)

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"MZ" wrote:

I downloaded a form template and linked it to my data; when I use the = sign
to insert my data into the template, some €“ though not all €“ cells display
the formula of the cell reference rather than the data that is actually
contained in the cell

Example:
Cell D10 in datasheet contains text; instead of displaying the text in the
template, it shows the following formula that is the reference address:
='[data sheet.xlsx]'!$D$10

--
MZ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If some, not all, cells display formula instead of values, I would say those
cells were pre-formatted as text.

Format to General then re-enter the formulas.

F2 then Enter will do the trick.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 04:40:01 -0800, MZ wrote:

I downloaded a form template and linked it to my data; when I use the = sign
to insert my data into the template, some – though not all – cells display
the formula of the cell reference rather than the data that is actually
contained in the cell

Example:
Cell D10 in datasheet contains text; instead of displaying the text in the
template, it shows the following formula that is the reference address:
='[data sheet.xlsx]'!$D$10

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
mz mz is offline

Thank you for the advice. I tried it, but it caused the document layout to
became totally corrupt. The person who made this template - a replica of the
IRS 1040 tax form - clearly wants to keep his formulas hidden from users and
has prevented any tampering with the file.
Here is the URL to see the excel sheet that the person created
http://www.excel1040.com/
--
MZ