Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dennis

Default Go to cell referenced in a formula

How do I easily go to a cell referenced in a formula? The
precedents/dependents is useful when the reference is on the same
spreadsheet, but not so easy when the referenced cell is on another
spreadsheet - even if in the same file.

Thanks much for your help!
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Go to cell referenced in a formula

  1. Select the cell that contains the formula with the reference you want to go to.
  2. Press the Ctrl key on your keyboard and click on the reference in the formula. This will highlight the referenced cell.
  3. While the referenced cell is still highlighted, press the F5 key on your keyboard. This will open the Go To dialog box.
  4. In the Go To dialog box, make sure the Reference option is selected and click OK. This will take you to the referenced cell, even if it's on another sheet in the same workbook.

Alternatively, you can also right-click on the referenced cell and select Go To from the context menu. This will also open the Go To dialog box and take you to the referenced cell.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

If you double click the cell with the formula, it goes to the first cell
referenced on another sheet.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Dennis" wrote in message
How do I easily go to a cell referenced in a formula? The
precedents/dependents is useful when the reference is on the same
spreadsheet, but not so easy when the referenced cell is on another
spreadsheet - even if in the same file.

Thanks much for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dennis

Bob,

Thanks for your response. I tried your suggestion but the result was that
the cell was opened up for editing - it didn't take me to the referenced
cell. Do I need to click the cell in a specific place?

Thanks,
Dennis

"Dennis" wrote in message
How do I easily go to a cell referenced in a formula? The
precedents/dependents is useful when the reference is on the same
spreadsheet, but not so easy when the referenced cell is on another
spreadsheet - even if in the same file.

Thanks much for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

No, if you double click a formula that reference the same sheet it should
highlight all areas on that sheet, if it references another sheet, it should
go to the first range referenced.

Make sure that you double-click the cell, not the formula bar.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Dennis" wrote in message
How do I easily go to a cell referenced in a formula? The
precedents/dependents is useful when the reference is on the same
spreadsheet, but not so easy when the referenced cell is on another
spreadsheet - even if in the same file.

Thanks much for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dominic LeVasseur

Dennis,

I think you should go to Tools:Options:Edit and uncheck "Edit directly in
cell". Then I believe Bob's suggestion should work perfectly.

HTH

"Dennis" wrote in message
How do I easily go to a cell referenced in a formula? The
precedents/dependents is useful when the reference is on the same
spreadsheet, but not so easy when the referenced cell is on another
spreadsheet - even if in the same file.

Thanks much for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dennis

Dominic,

That worked! Thank you very much.

Dennis

"Dennis" wrote in message
How do I easily go to a cell referenced in a formula? The
precedents/dependents is useful when the reference is on the same
spreadsheet, but not so easy when the referenced cell is on another
spreadsheet - even if in the same file.

Thanks much for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dominic LeVasseur