Old March 22nd 05, 08:13 PM
MarthaSue

Default Creating a check mark box

I would like to create a check mark box in my excel document so that I can
click on it and a check mark will appear. I would then like to create a
formula that would add a dollar amount in the total column if the checkmark
is present. Could someone please let me know how I can go about doing this?

Old March 22nd 05, 09:08 PM

Show the Forms toolbar (View|toolbars|Forms)

You'll see a checkbox on that toolbar.
Click on it and draw your checkbox in the cell you want.
Now right click on that checkbox and select Format Control
Then on the Control Tab, assign a nice Cell link (I'll use A1).
(if you protect that sheet, make sure that cell link is unlocked.)

Now use a formula that checks the value in that cell link:

=if(a1<true,"",sum(b:b))
(don't put this formula in Column B--or adjust the range:
=if(a1<true,"",sum(b2:B9999))

Old March 22nd 05, 09:41 PM
MarthaSue

Hi Dave, thanks for the quick response. I am still having trouble, please
forgive me, as I am learning as I go. When i am trying to do the cell link, I
am getting an error
"The text you entered is not a valid reference or defined name".

I wrote =if(a37<true,"",then(U37=$375.00). If the box is checked then I
want Excel to enter the dollar amount (375.00) in the total amount. I am
creating an electronic ticket. Please let me know if you can help me. I
appreciate your time,
Sharlene

Old March 23rd 05, 01:24 AM

First, a formula can only return a value to that cell that holds the function.

So you'd have to put this in U37:
=if(a37<true,"",375)

But I don't see how this fits in your Total amount????

Old March 24th 05, 04:19 AM
MarthaSue

Sorry I don't think I explained myself properly. I am creating an electronic
field ticket. In this case, if an employee had used this product, they would
check the box in a37, and that would put the $375. amount in the total column
on the right hand side of the ticket column. If the product is being used,
the box is not checked, and the $375 value won't be put in the total column.
I hope this makes sense. Thanks for all your help Dave, I really appreciate
it. Do you visit this site often, I would love to pick your brain about some
other stuff, if the need arose?

Old March 24th 05, 03:49 PM

I'm hear lots of times. But if you post, you'll get a lot of responses.

I still think that formula would work--unless I'm missing something.

This is equivalent, but I find it easier to read:

=if(a37=true,375,"")
or
=if(a37=true,375,0)

This formula does go into one of the cells in the total column.

Old March 31st 05, 10:35 PM
MarthaSue

New problem. Check box works initially, but if I click on the box to remove
the checkmark it gives me "False" in the total column. Then if I click on it
again to give me a check mark it gives me "True" instead of my value
($375.00). Please help.

Old April 1st 05, 01:42 PM

Is your linked cell in the range of stuff you want to add?

If yes, move that linked cell out of the way.

If no, post back the formula you use, the cell that its in and the linked cell's
address (all three).

Old April 1st 05, 10:31 PM
MarthaSue

Sorry Dave, I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean. How do I know if
it is in the range that I want to add? How do I move the linked cell?How do
I post back the formula and link all three? Sorry I'm not following your
reply. . ..

Old April 2nd 05, 12:44 AM

When you put the checkbox on the worksheet, you assigned a linked cell.
#1. What was the address of that linked cell?

When you wrote the formula in the worksheet, you typed it into a cell.
#2. What was the address of that cell?

When you wrote the formula to total your numbers, you wrote a formula in a cell?
#3. What was the address of that cell that contained the formula?
#4. And what was the formula you used? (You can copy the formula from the
formula bar and paste into your response.)

Your responses he