Joejoethecrackman

Default How do I use a check box to accept a calculation

I am trying to create a ledger that has both current balance and the balance
my bank has. Right now it can only tell me what my current balance is. My
question is, How can I use a check box to initiate a calculation? This way
is there is no check in the box then the calculation does not happen, but
when I put a check in the box the calculation happens. This way when my bank
shows something that has posted I can place the check and automatically
balance my check book.

Joejoethecrackman

The format? I am using Excel. That I want it to do is, One block will have
two calculations. If there is no check in the checkbox then the box will use
the calculation to be the same number of the box above it. If there is a
check in the checkbox then the calcualtion is to take the number above it and
subtract from or at to depending on the type of transaction. If you need me
too I am e-mail you a copy of the blank ledger format.

Joe

Debra Dalgleish

Link each check box to the cell it's on:
If the check boxes are from the Forms toolbar, right-click the checkbox,
and choose Format Control.
In the Cell Link box, enter the cell reference, e.g. $E$2

Then, format the linked cell in white font, so the text isn't visible

In the balance cell, use a formula that checks the linked cell. For
example, with the following layout:

Date Item Deposit WD Conf Balance
1/1/2005 Books 75 TRUE

Enter the following formula in cell F2, and copy down to the last row of
data:
=IF(ISTEXT(F1),0,F1)+IF(E2=TRUE,C2-D2,0)

Instead of linked checkboxes, you may find it easier to format the
Confirmation column in Marlett font. Type an "a" to add a check mark.
Change the formula to:
=IF(ISTEXT(F1),0,F1)+IF(E2="a",C2-D2,0)

--
Debra Dalgleish