bookworm

Default library check in and out

i would like to create a database of books that I lend out. THe process
should work wherein someone can see what books are available and if they take
one, they have the ability to check it out, and when they return, check it
back in. It would all be in the honor system, so there are no fees involved
or password security. All lenders will be able to access this file from a
shared directory.

Dave Peterson

How many books do you want to keep track of?

(I use a piece of paper and a pencil to log the books I've loaned.)

You could create a worksheet (headers in row 1, data in rows 2:65536).

And use a bunch of columns:
Column A: Author
B: title
C: Subject
D: Category of book
E: (anything more you could think of)

And a couple of columns for:

X: Borrower
Y: Date Borrowed
Z: Expected date of return????

Have the borrower fill out the columns when he takes the books and clear the
contents when he returns it.

Then you could apply Data|Filter|autofilter to this. You could filter by any of
the columns to show you who has what, what's available, and what was borrowed
when.

If you're going to have multiple people accessing this workbook, make and keep
regular backups.

--

Dave Peterson