Dan G

Default Using a Check Box as a control item

I would like to use a check box to copy and paste from one sheet to
another... only if the box is checked.

On sheet two I will place all the check boxes in colume A, row 3.. if the
box is checked I would like cells b,c,d,e in row 3 copied to another sheet in
the document, but only if the box is check. Does anyone know how I would
create this?? I do not have much excel experience.... yet!

Thanks
Dan
Dave Peterson

Can I offer an alternative?

Instead of using a checkbox, use the cell in column A and format it to show a
check if there's something in that cell.

Select column A (A2:A65536 if you have headers in row 1)
format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:

alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
ü;ü;ü;ü
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings.

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

Now apply Data|filter|autofilter to your range.
filter by column A (to show non-blanks)

Copy the visible rows (columns B:E) to the other sheet.

(Select the visible cells in column A and hit the delete key on the keyboard --
to "clear" those checkboxes.)

And if you have to ever find out if that row is "checked", you can use a formula
like:

=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

You can just see if the cell is empty.

--

Dave Peterson