Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default The VLookup function displays the formula in the cell, not data.

I've been using the VLookup function with the wizard just fine for a few
hours. It suddenly began displaying the formula in the cell instead of
returning the data. Here are some of the things I've known to be issues in
the past and have already tried:

-Made sure both columns of data were sorted in ascending order
-Converted both to "text" using the text to column function
-Copied and pasted into new spreadsheets
-Made sure to tab through the wizard questions instead of pointing &
clicking with the mouse
-Used a range name. When that didn't work, clicked on the sheet and
highlighted the data.
-Trimmed the data to be certain there were no additional spaces in either
column.

Any other ideas? I love VLookup when it works. But when it doesn't, it
drives me crazy!

Thanks.
--
Melanie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Melanie,

Your cell was formatted as text before you entered the formula.
Format it as General AND re-enter the formula (F2, ENTER)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"MLVick" wrote in message ...
| I've been using the VLookup function with the wizard just fine for a few
| hours. It suddenly began displaying the formula in the cell instead of
| returning the data. Here are some of the things I've known to be issues in
| the past and have already tried:
|
| -Made sure both columns of data were sorted in ascending order
| -Converted both to "text" using the text to column function
| -Copied and pasted into new spreadsheets
| -Made sure to tab through the wizard questions instead of pointing &
| clicking with the mouse
| -Used a range name. When that didn't work, clicked on the sheet and
| highlighted the data.
| -Trimmed the data to be certain there were no additional spaces in either
| column.
|
| Any other ideas? I love VLookup when it works. But when it doesn't, it
| drives me crazy!
|
| Thanks.
| --
| Melanie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default The VLookup function displays the formula in the cell, not dat

Thanks so much! It worked perfectly. I've gotten around it in the past by
playing around until it worked, but could never figure out what I did to make
it work or why it stopped. Very helpful!
--
Melanie