Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Using Vista Excel files with older version of Excel

My problem is that when people send me an excel file which was created with
Vista Excel I can't open it up with my older version of excel on my desltop
unit. So I have to open it with my laptop which is Vista and save it as an
older version of excel and send it back to myself. I would think that there
would be an update to my older version of excel so that it could open these
newer file types.

Can anyone help me???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

When you say Vista Excel, do you mean it's a newer version of Excel, or
merely, say, Excel2003 opened by a PC with Vista as it's operating system?

assuming you mean the other user has Excel 2007 and you are opening in Excel
2003, you can change the extension to .xls, though you may lose formats that
are only available in 2007, thus ruining the workbook on your computer.
truly, your only option to avoid this compeltely is to ensure the other
person save the file as Excel 2003 compatible. (This can be done in the Save
As menu)

"KillerDawgs" wrote:

My problem is that when people send me an excel file which was created with
Vista Excel I can't open it up with my older version of excel on my desltop
unit. So I have to open it with my laptop which is Vista and save it as an
older version of excel and send it back to myself. I would think that there
would be an update to my older version of excel so that it could open these
newer file types.

Can anyone help me???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Sean,

2003, you can change the extension to .xls, though you may lose formats that are only available in 2007

That won't work - Excel 2003 would still be quite unable to open the file. The Excel 2007 file format is completely different from
the Excel 97-2003 file format.

truly, your only option to avoid this compeltely is to ensure the other person save the file as Excel 2003 compatible.

Not so! MS has published a Compatibility Pack for Office 2000 - 2003 that allows those versions to read and open Office 2007 Word,
Excel, and PowerPoint files. See:

Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

"KillerDawgs" wrote:

My problem is that when people send me an excel file which was created with
Vista Excel I can't open it up with my older version of excel on my desltop
unit. So I have to open it with my laptop which is Vista and save it as an
older version of excel and send it back to myself. I would think that there
would be an update to my older version of excel so that it could open these
newer file types.

Can anyone help me???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

See