Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How to modify a primary worksheet linked to another worksheet

Hello,
I need to know how to modify a primary worksheet which is linked to another
worksheet/cells, without changing the data of a secondary worksheet.

I want to add/delete/move rows to the primary worksheet without affecting
the other linked cells.

How can I do that? Please I need some help!

Thanks!

Marcela

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Eduardo,
Can you please give me further instructions how to do it?

I have a primary worksheet that contains dates. Example: Book1 - Cell I19
has a date as of 16-Jun-06. And Book 2 - Cell L2 is linked to Book 1 - Cell
I19 as =[Book1.xls]Sheet1!$I$19. If I add, move or delete rows on the primary
worksheet, all the dates in the secondary worksheet are mess up. What can I
do??

I want to add/move/delete rows on Book1 without affecting Book2.

Thanks!

Marcela

"mamorellana" wrote:

????

"mamorellana" wrote:

Hello,
I need to know how to modify a primary worksheet which is linked to another
worksheet/cells, without changing the data of a secondary worksheet.

I want to add/delete/move rows to the primary worksheet without affecting
the other linked cells.

How can I do that? Please I need some help!

Thanks!

Marcela

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

One guess ..
Provided Book1.xls is always simultaneously open with Book2.xls
In Book2.xls,
instead of: =[Book1.xls]Sheet1!$I$19
you could use: =INDIRECT("[Book1.xls]Sheet1!I19")
which will always point to that particular source cell, ie I19 in Sheet1, in
Book1. Irrespective of what you may do (eg: add/move/delete rows in Book1)
which may impact that particular source cell.
--
Max
Singapore
"mamorellana" wrote:
I have a primary worksheet that contains dates. Example: Book1 - Cell I19
has a date as of 16-Jun-06. And Book 2 - Cell L2 is linked to Book 1 - Cell
I19 as =[Book1.xls]Sheet1!$I$19. If I add, move or delete rows on the primary
worksheet, all the dates in the secondary worksheet are mess up. What can I
do??

I want to add/move/delete rows on Book1 without affecting Book2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I already tried using =INDIRECT infront of the formula, but whenever I modify
Book1 by adding, moving or deleting rows, all my dates in Book 2 are mess up.

Should I lock the full row in Book1? or what else can I do?

Thanks!!

Marcela

"mamorellana" wrote:
I have a primary worksheet that contains dates. Example: Book1 - Cell I19
has a date as of 16-Jun-06. And Book 2 - Cell L2 is linked to Book 1 - Cell
I19 as =[Book1.xls]Sheet1!$I$19. If I add, move or delete rows on the primary
worksheet, all the dates in the secondary worksheet are mess up. What can I
do??

I want to add/move/delete rows on Book1 without affecting Book2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,
in order to copy to another workbook, highlight your sheet, right click on
the mouse, copy, go to a new sheet let's say sheet5 go to cell A1, right
click on the mouse paste. Now you have your copy, you can play around with
the numbers, without compromising your data. you can copy all the information
in a new workbook. same procedure up to copy, then go to a new workbook again
to cell a1 and paste there

hope this helps

"mamorellana" wrote:
I have a primary worksheet that contains dates. Example: Book1 - Cell I19
has a date as of 16-Jun-06. And Book 2 - Cell L2 is linked to Book 1 - Cell
I19 as =[Book1.xls]Sheet1!$I$19. If I add, move or delete rows on the primary
worksheet, all the dates in the secondary worksheet are mess up. What can I
do??

I want to add/move/delete rows on Book1 without affecting Book2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

.. whenever I modify Book1 by adding, moving or deleting rows,
all my dates in Book 2 are mess up

Can you illustrate clearly with some sample data the above scenario? Show us
some examples of your before/after scenario right now, and exactly what you
would like to happen instead. As it stands, I'm out of further guesses.