Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default look up troubles when referencing two cells

I am trying to utilize a Vlookup but I have two cells I want the table to
look up from to pull the price of an item. For one item we have a standard
price and discounted price and depending on that item and whether it is
standard will reflect the price. I will attach some sample data so you can
see what I am trying to accomplish. I appreciate any and all assistance.
A B C
discounted MESH $3.25
standard MESH $4.45
discounted CARPET STICKERS $6.15
standard CARPET STICKERS $8.20
discounted WINDOW CLING $3.00
standard WINDOW CLING $4.20

EX: I need price of standard (a) and mesh (b) which would be $4.45

my current formula is =VLOOKUP(C9&D9,Sheet3!E3:G50,3,FALSE)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(E3:E50=C9),--(F3:F50=D9),G3:G50)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"smiley61799" wrote in message
I am trying to utilize a Vlookup but I have two cells I want the table to
look up from to pull the price of an item. For one item we have a
standard
price and discounted price and depending on that item and whether it is
standard will reflect the price. I will attach some sample data so you
can
see what I am trying to accomplish. I appreciate any and all assistance.
A B C
discounted MESH $3.25
standard MESH $4.45
discounted CARPET STICKERS $6.15
standard CARPET STICKERS $8.20
discounted WINDOW CLING $3.00
standard WINDOW CLING $4.20

EX: I need price of standard (a) and mesh (b) which would be $4.45

my current formula is =VLOOKUP(C9&D9,Sheet3!E3:G50,3,FALSE)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Try
=VLOOKUP(A1&B1,Sheet3!E3:G50,3,FALSE)
with standard in A1 and mesh in B1
Also Col E in Sheet3 should be concatenation of values you are looking up in
A & B
and third col should contain the price you want...
If not then insert a column G before price and use something like
=E3&F3
and copy down and then use
=VLOOKUP(A1&B1,Sheet3!G3:H50,3,FALSE)
since original G will now be H

"smiley61799" wrote:

I am trying to utilize a Vlookup but I have two cells I want the table to
look up from to pull the price of an item. For one item we have a standard
price and discounted price and depending on that item and whether it is
standard will reflect the price. I will attach some sample data so you can
see what I am trying to accomplish. I appreciate any and all assistance.
A B C
discounted MESH $3.25
standard MESH $4.45
discounted CARPET STICKERS $6.15
standard CARPET STICKERS $8.20
discounted WINDOW CLING $3.00
standard WINDOW CLING $4.20

EX: I need price of standard (a) and mesh (b) which would be $4.45

my current formula is =VLOOKUP(C9&D9,Sheet3!E3:G50,3,FALSE)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

that tells me I have created a circular cell reference.

Don't enter the formula within the range E3:G50 or in the cells that contain
your lookup criteria, C9:D9. Enter it anywhere else but there.