Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Unprotect sheet/workbook

I protected the worksheets and the workbook. Now I need to unprotect them for
some changes, but on the review tab, unprotect sheet and unprotect workbook
is grayed out. I did not use any password. How can I unprotect this
workbook/worksheets.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Maybe it's a shared workbook and if it is?

Unshare the workbook, unprotect, make your changes, protect and the re-share.

Mike

"Steve" wrote:

I protected the worksheets and the workbook. Now I need to unprotect them for
some changes, but on the review tab, unprotect sheet and unprotect workbook
is grayed out. I did not use any password. How can I unprotect this
workbook/worksheets.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You most likely also shared the workbook under ToolsShare Workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 04:18:01 -0700, Steve
wrote:

I protected the worksheets and the workbook. Now I need to unprotect them for
some changes, but on the review tab, unprotect sheet and unprotect workbook
is grayed out. I did not use any password. How can I unprotect this
workbook/worksheets.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Do you have more than one sheet selected?

Do you see [Group] in the title bar?

This would gray out the unprotect sheet command.

Ungroup if that's the case.

Gord

"Steve" wrote:

I protected the worksheets and the workbook. Now I need to unprotect them for
some changes, but on the review tab, unprotect sheet and unprotect workbook
is grayed out. I did not use any password. How can I unprotect this
workbook/worksheets.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Ooops!

Misread the preceding reply about unprotecting the shared workbook.

As long as the workbook is shared, the unprotect sheet will remain grayed
out.

You must unshare the workbook to unprotect sheets.

Gord

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:50:04 -0700, Steve
wrote:

No

"Steve" wrote:

I protected the worksheets and the workbook. Now I need to unprotect them for
some changes, but on the review tab, unprotect sheet and unprotect workbook
is grayed out. I did not use any password. How can I unprotect this
workbook/worksheets.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Ok, thanks. Almost there. By unsharing the workbook, the protect workbook
became ungrayed, but unprotect worksheet is still grayed out. I feel so
stupid.
What I currently have in the Review that's grayed out is: Unprotect sheet &
Allow users to edit ranges.
The tabs not grayed out a Protect Workbook, Share workbook, Protect &
Share Workbook & Track Changes.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Ooops!

Misread the preceding reply about unprotecting the shared workbook.

As long as the workbook is shared, the unprotect sheet will remain grayed
out.

You must unshare the workbook to unprotect sheets.

Gord

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:50:04 -0700, Steve
wrote:

No