Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default how can i use cond formating to colour an entire column?

I have used conditional formating to highlight a cell in my table, but I
would like the entire column to be highlighted.

e.g Table has

NAME TARGET ACTUAL PERCENT TO TARGET

MR O 450 300 66.6%

I can highlight Cell D2 (percent to target) using cond format, but can i
make the entire colum change colour?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

can i make the entire colum change colour?

Sure, based on what condition?

An entire column can span as many as 1,048,576 rows depending on which
version of Excel you're using. Are you *sure* you want to format the *entire
column* ?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Sully" wrote in message
I have used conditional formating to highlight a cell in my table, but I
would like the entire column to be highlighted.

e.g Table has

NAME TARGET ACTUAL PERCENT TO TARGET

MR O 450 300 66.6%

I can highlight Cell D2 (percent to target) using cond format, but can i
make the entire colum change colour?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sully,

Select the cells (the column of your table) that you want to change color, and then use a formula (a
formula that returns TRUE or FALSE) that refers to cell D2 (using the address D$2, so that it
doesn't automatically update for each row) like

=D$2.5

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP