Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Grid problem with formatting cells...

Hello!!

I need for help please!

When I would like to change the width of a cell or a column I can't
set up a concrete value.
For example if I want the column to be 1.2 wide then Excel will set it
to 1.14...
If I try to set the width to 1.25 then it will be 1.29...

So I can't set the grid to anywhere... because there is raster what
doesn't let me do it...

Is there any solution to switch this snap-like thing off?
or to make it more fine?

Many thanks in advance!!!!

Andy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Andy,

The width of cells is measured in pixels.
1.14 is 13 pixels. 1.29 is 14 pixels, etc. You can see it in a ScreenTip if you drag the column border.
AFAIK, you can't do anything about it.

Maybe you can increase the column width but display and print scaled to a reduced size?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

wrote in message ...
| Hello!!
|
| I need for help please!
|
| When I would like to change the width of a cell or a column I can't
| set up a concrete value.
| For example if I want the column to be 1.2 wide then Excel will set it
| to 1.14...
| If I try to set the width to 1.25 then it will be 1.29...
|
| So I can't set the grid to anywhere... because there is raster what
| doesn't let me do it...
|
| Is there any solution to switch this snap-like thing off?
| or to make it more fine?
|
| Many thanks in advance!!!!
|
| Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

To add to and I think, correct Niek's reply a bit.............

Row heights are measured in points or pixels. There are 72 points to an inch
and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch.

The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number
of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell.

When dragging the column width you will see two numbers.........one is width as
above, the other is pixels.

For an interesting and enlightening discussion on this subject see

http://snipurl.com/dzz8

If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm.

Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.

http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...vbawssetrowcol

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:40:58 +0100, "Niek Otten" wrote:

Hi Andy,

The width of cells is measured in pixels.
1.14 is 13 pixels. 1.29 is 14 pixels, etc. You can see it in a ScreenTip if you drag the column border.
AFAIK, you can't do anything about it.

Maybe you can increase the column width but display and print scaled to a reduced size?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Gord! I had no idea there were different definitions of "pixels"

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote in message ...
| To add to and I think, correct Niek's reply a bit.............
|
| Row heights are measured in points or pixels. There are 72 points to an inch
| and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch.
|
| The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number
| of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell.
|
| When dragging the column width you will see two numbers.........one is width as
| above, the other is pixels.
|
| For an interesting and enlightening discussion on this subject see
|
| http://snipurl.com/dzz8
|
| If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm.
|
| Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.
|
| http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...vbawssetrowcol
|

| Gord Dibben Excel MVP
|
| On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:40:58 +0100, "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Hi Andy,
|
| The width of cells is measured in pixels.
| 1.14 is 13 pixels. 1.29 is 14 pixels, etc. You can see it in a ScreenTip if you drag the column border.
| AFAIK, you can't do anything about it.
|
| Maybe you can increase the column width but display and print scaled to a reduced size?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Problem solved...

Many Thanks for Everyone!!!

Andy