Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default replace data w/ new data

I have a text file that I opened in excel and need to replace some of the
data with new data. I cannot use the find/replace all function because the
old data is not in a consistent list form. The data I need to replace is in
column F. But there is also other info in the same column that I don't want
to lose.

Old Data:
MAN GM 1.07305E+17 CP 1Z7812X90312160167~

New Data:
1Z67X81F0345554229~

It's very hard for me to explain...but I have hundreds of these that I need
to replace the invalid tracking numbers with the valid ones.

Thanks,
--
Tawny Galvin
VAS Entertainment
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Excel is trying to "help" you. It is converting your ID numbers into another
numerical format. You can prevent this when you open the file. When you
open the file, tell the Import Wizard that the field is Text and not General
and the Wizard will not change the values.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200771