Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Need to know how to write a formula

I have 129 kids at my church and they have been charged with doing certain
things to earn points. I am making a spreadsheet to record their
accomplishments, like, if they study their lesson they get 10 points, if they
memorize a verse, they get 15 points, if they participate in a fund raiser
they get 50 points, and so on. I have a chart that shows their points and
can figure out their total points earned. However, I want to know how many
times a certain chore was completed. I am trying to find out how many times
each point value appears in the whole chart. That way I'll know which things
the kids are doing the most, which may show me I need to add or delete an
assignment. Right now I have A2 through A161 and A - F columns. Anyone have
a light bulb go on??? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

COUNTIF is what you are looking for.
e.g.
=COUNTIF(A2:F161,15)
will return any instance of 15 in your data range.

HTH
Martin

"TN Judge" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Create a list will all the chores like for instance in G

don't know if you are looking to count the different points or if you are
using the names of the chores but assume the list of all chores used are in
G2:G8 (adapt to fit)
I am also assuming that your chores can be spread out in A2:F162,
In the first adjacent cell to the first value in your newly created list
(that would be H2) put this formula

=COUNTIF($A$2:$F$162,G2)

copy down as long as needed by dragging the lower right corner of the cell
with the formula

if the chores are in A2:A162 only change the formula to

=COUNTIF($A$2:$A$162,G2)

Peo Sjoblom

"TN Judge" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks so much for your response. The problem I have is that with 129 kids
who are in class all the time and approximately 35 visitors on any given day,
I needed the 161 rows. Right now I only have 6 tasks that they can do to
earn points, but hope to up that to 25 soon. It just took up so much space
to type out the actual name of the task that I just assigned each of the 6 a
number. The point range is from 1 to 55 (that probably will change as we add
more tasks). This is a project that will run over an extended period and
awards willl be given to the ones with the tops scores, eventually. Now it
looks like this:
#1 #2 #3 #4
#5 #6
Child's name 15 5 30 10
25 50
Child;s name 10 20 50 45
15 55

Hope this makes my delima a little more clear. I am not familiar with
"countif) since in am not really very skilled at Excel. Your assistance is
greatly appreciated.
Linda

"TN Judge" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I think it might be easier in the long run to do this: Insert two rows at
the top of your worksheet. In row 1, above each # entry, enter the point
value of that activity. In row 2, again above each # entry, type a formula
similar to this:
=SUM(B4:B163)/B1
Assuming you're in column B, of course. That will give you a count of the
number of times a task has been performed, even if a person performs same
task (as studying their lesson) many times.

A slight modification to that and perhaps a note to yourself in a row below
the end of the list will make that formula update itself automatically. I
assumed that with the added rows at the top, your list of names would go from
row 4 through row 163, although that doesn't correspond to your stated 129
current names. If you change the formula (in B2) to =SUM(B4:B164)/B1 then it
will include a blank row at the end. Put a note to yourself in A165 such as
"To add names to the list, select the row above and Insert a new row and add
the name into it." Then follow that instruction as you add names to the
list. First time you would select row 164 and use Insert | Row (or if you
just picked a cell in the row, Insert | Entire Row) and then type the
information into the new row 164. The formula(s) up in row two will change
automatically to then become =SUM(B4:B165)/B1.

Hope this helps some.