Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How to apply the same formula to an entire column

I have a sheet that has over 6,000 rows (data transfered from an access table)

I have added a column

In the new column I want the formula to be =A3=B3 which will result in True
or False and in the next row it want it to be =A4=B4 then the next row should
be =A5=B5 and so on

How do I apply this formula to the entire column without having to go from
row to row inputting the same formula?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Make sure you use an adjacent column which I believe you do, so in C3 put

=A3=B3

press enter, select C3 again, move the cursor with the mouse to the lower
right corner of C3, and when the thick cross changes into a thin cross
double click and you will automatically copy down the formula to the end of
the data in columns A and B

Peo Sjoblom

"Lisab" wrote in message
I have a sheet that has over 6,000 rows (data transfered from an access
table)

I have added a column

In the new column I want the formula to be =A3=B3 which will result in
True
or False and in the next row it want it to be =A4=B4 then the next row
should
be =A5=B5 and so on

How do I apply this formula to the entire column without having to go from
row to row inputting the same formula?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Just copy and paste.

Enter your formula in the first row. Then Copy that formula. Select your
range of cells to copy to. Then Paste. Excel will automatically increment
the cell references in the formula.

HTH,
Elkar

"Lisab" wrote:

I have a sheet that has over 6,000 rows (data transfered from an access table)

I have added a column

In the new column I want the formula to be =A3=B3 which will result in True
or False and in the next row it want it to be =A4=B4 then the next row should
be =A5=B5 and so on

How do I apply this formula to the entire column without having to go from
row to row inputting the same formula?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Want a third way:
Select the range of cells, type the formula, use CTRL+ENTER rather than
simple Enter.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme