Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Rounding up and or down formula

I'm after a formula that will give me the closest to a 0.25 incremental
ending.
That is if the sum ends up being 4.29, I need it to return a 4.25
If it ends up being 2.8 I need it ot return a 2.75.
If it ends up being 2.89 I need it ot return a 3.
Is there such a method?
TIA to all you Gurus.
Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Potaroo,

=ROUNDUP(A1*4,0)/4
=ROUND(A1*4,0)/4
=ROUNDDOWN(A1*4,0)/4
will round the value in A1 to the nearest higher quarter, nearest quarter, or nearest lower, quarter, respectively.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Potaroo" wrote in message ...
I'm after a formula that will give me the closest to a 0.25 incremental
ending.
That is if the sum ends up being 4.29, I need it to return a 4.25
If it ends up being 2.8 I need it ot return a 2.75.
If it ends up being 2.89 I need it ot return a 3.
Is there such a method?
TIA to all you Gurus.
Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I have put together and attached a small (14Kb) spreadsheet demonstrating a
range of roundings which may be required.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Potaroo" wrote in message
I'm after a formula that will give me the closest to a 0.25 incremental
ending.
That is if the sum ends up being 4.29, I need it to return a 4.25
If it ends up being 2.8 I need it ot return a 2.75.
If it ends up being 2.89 I need it ot return a 3.
Is there such a method?
TIA to all you Gurus.
Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I have put together a small (14Kb) spreadsheet demonstrating a range of
roundings which may be required. This can be downloaded from
www.1001solutions.co.uk/rounding.xls

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Potaroo" wrote in message
I'm after a formula that will give me the closest to a 0.25 incremental
ending.
That is if the sum ends up being 4.29, I need it to return a 4.25
If it ends up being 2.8 I need it ot return a 2.75.
If it ends up being 2.89 I need it ot return a 3.
Is there such a method?
TIA to all you Gurus.
Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Bill,

Unless I am completely misunderstanding you:

In your example sheet formulas like:

=ROUND(B6,1.25)

is the same as =ROUND(B6,1)

That is it rounds to the nearest one decimal place. It does not round to
the nearest 1.25

Like wise =ROUND(B12,100) Rounds to the nearest 100 decimal places not the
nearest 100

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

"Potaroo" wrote in message
I'm after a formula that will give me the closest to a 0.25 incremental
ending.
That is if the sum ends up being 4.29, I need it to return a 4.25
If it ends up being 2.8 I need it ot return a 2.75.
If it ends up being 2.89 I need it ot return a 3.
Is there such a method?
TIA to all you Gurus.
Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You're reading it OK Sandy. I've spent some time today trying to get it
right. I'll look at it again tomorrow.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Potaroo" wrote in message
I'm after a formula that will give me the closest to a 0.25 incremental
ending.
That is if the sum ends up being 4.29, I need it to return a 4.25
If it ends up being 2.8 I need it ot return a 2.75.
If it ends up being 2.89 I need it ot return a 3.
Is there such a method?
TIA to all you Gurus.
Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Thanks Macropod, Bill and Sandy

Thanks fellas for your input in helping me out.
You fellas and all the others who help people with their problems are
indisensible to blokes like me.
Regards Pete