Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Drop down lists

Just a quick question, I'm using M/S Exel 2003 and would like to know if it's
possible to make a 3 column drop down list that depends on the list before,
i.e

Column A1 would be €śSize€ť Just a normal list (covering A-Z)
Column B1 would be €śWidth€ť Answer from another list but dependent
on the fist lists chosen €śLetter€ť
Column C1 would be €śLength€ť Answer from another list but dependent
on the second lists chosen €śWidth€ť

A1 B1 C1
A 10€ť 40€ť

Or

A1 B1 C1
C 20€ť 50€ť

The Letter in column A1 would generate a drop down list of about 10 choices
in Column B1 and that in turn would generate a drop down list of about 10
choices in column C1.
I have done this with two columns, but can not find any examples for a 3
column.
I am only a beginner with Excel and would appreciate any help or advice you
could give.

Thank you for your time.
--
ch
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I assume you are referring to the AUTOFILTER feature? If so, select first what
you want in Col A, then when result shows, select what you want in Col B and
from the result select what you want in Col C. Apologies if I have
misunderstood your question.

Gerry

"Gripper" wrote in message
Just a quick question, I'm using M/S Exel 2003 and would like to know if it's
possible to make a 3 column drop down list that depends on the list before,
i.e

Column A1 would be "Size" Just a normal list (covering A-Z)
Column B1 would be "Width" Answer from another list but dependent
on the fist lists chosen "Letter"
Column C1 would be "Length" Answer from another list but dependent
on the second lists chosen "Width"

A1 B1 C1
A 10" 40"

Or

A1 B1 C1
C 20" 50"

The Letter in column A1 would generate a drop down list of about 10 choices
in Column B1 and that in turn would generate a drop down list of about 10
choices in column C1.
I have done this with two columns, but can not find any examples for a 3
column.
I am only a beginner with Excel and would appreciate any help or advice you
could give.

Thank you for your time.
--
ch

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Gerry
you have miss under stood a little, i need the answer in column B to be
dependent on what was choosen in column A, and then column C to be dependent
on what was choosen in column B and they all need to be drop down list that
change depending on the list before. Hope this helps.

--
ch

"Gripper" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Gripper" wrote in message
Hi Gerry
you have miss under stood a little, i need the answer in column B to be
dependent on what was choosen in column A, and then column C to be dependent
on what was choosen in column B and they all need to be drop down list that
change depending on the list before. Hope this helps.

--
ch

Is all the data already entered in cols A, B and C and you are searching for
specific information like how many As with width X and length Y OR do you mean
you want to be able to enter a value in say A2 and this will generate a choice
of values you can enter in B2 and that will generate a choice of values you can
enter in C2?

Gerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Gripper" wrote in message
Hi Gerry
you have miss under stood a little, i need the answer in column B to be
dependent on what was choosen in column A, and then column C to be dependent
on what was choosen in column B and they all need to be drop down list that
change depending on the list before. Hope this helps.

--

Sorry - meant to ask you - if Col A is A, will Col B ALWAYS be say 10 and Col C
ALWAYS be say 30 i.e. A 10 and 30 always go together, A 10 20 would not be

Gerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Gerry
all the data in cols A are from one drop down list and what ever item you
pick from that list gives you a choise from another drop down list in B and
what ever item you pick from B that list gives you a choise from another drop
down list in C

Like you said earlier,
I want to be able to enter a value in say A1 from a drop down and this will
generate a choice
of values I can enter in B1 and that will generate a choice of values you can
enter in C1

Thanks for the help Gerry
--
ch

"Gerry Atrick" wrote:

"Gripper" wrote in message
Hi Gerry
you have miss under stood a little, i need the answer in column B to be
dependent on what was choosen in column A, and then column C to be dependent
on what was choosen in column B and they all need to be drop down list that
change depending on the list before. Hope this helps.

--

Sorry - meant to ask you - if Col A is A, will Col B ALWAYS be say 10 and Col C
ALWAYS be say 30 i.e. A 10 and 30 always go together, A 10 20 would not be
allowed? If that is the case then I think lookup tables would be better than
drop down lists.

Gerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Do the values in column C depend on what was selected in both A and B,
or just the selection in B?

If it's just dependent on B, use the technique shown he

Gripper wrote:
Hi Gerry
all the data in cols A are from one drop down list and what ever item you
pick from that list gives you a choise from another drop down list in B and
what ever item you pick from B that list gives you a choise from another drop
down list in C

Like you said earlier,
I want to be able to enter a value in say A1 from a drop down and this will
generate a choice
of values I can enter in B1 and that will generate a choice of values you can
enter in C1

Thanks for the help Gerry

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Debra
Yes the answer in C does depend on what was selected in B, but
not like the one in the link. It needs to be another drop down list.

--
ch

Gripper wrote:
Hi Gerry
all the data in cols A are from one drop down list and what ever item you
pick from that list gives you a choise from another drop down list in B and
what ever item you pick from B that list gives you a choise from another drop
down list in C

Like you said earlier,
I want to be able to enter a value in say A1 from a drop down and this will
generate a choice
of values I can enter in B1 and that will generate a choice of values you can
enter in C1

Thanks for the help Gerry

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If there is a list of widths available for 10" length, no matter what
size was selected in A, you could do the following:

Type the list of widths for each length
Name each list, e.g.: Width10

In cell C2, for the data validation, allow a List
In the Source box, type:

=INDIRECT("Width"&SUBSTITUTE(C2,CHAR(34),""))

Gripper wrote:
Hi Debra
Yes the answer in C does depend on what was selected in B, but
not like the one in the link. It needs to be another drop down list.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

See Debra Dalgleish's site for how-to's

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 02:21:00 -0800, Gripper
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hello ,Debra & Gord
I'm going back to that link and having another
read of the site, I've run out of time tonight, many thanks for all your help
so far.
--
ch