Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Changing font colors...

Normally changing the font color is a simple task, right? Well, I've got a
poser for y'all. (Excel 2003, Win 2000, fully patched)

My boss keeps a spreadsheet of issues/resolutions on the tanks (vehicles,
not vessels) at work. Each row is a separate vehicle. One of the columns has
multiple lines of text with manual line breaks between each issue. If an
issue hasn't been discussed at our 3x weekly meeting, that specific line of
text is changed to green. After it's discussed, it's changed to black. Got
this so far?

Okay..........we use a projector in the 3x weekly meeting to display this
spreadsheet. The colors are muddied so I've changed that green text to
bright green so it is obviously not black on the projection screen. I have
been trying to use Find/Replace to find any green text and change it to
bright green. Unfortunately, it will not hit on any cells that doesn't
contain text in mixed colors. It's an all or nothing. I've tried selecting
the "Match entire cell contents" and deselecting it. No difference.

It's difficult to see the green text and I would love to be able to do
something simple like this to change it all in one shot. Can it be done? Can
it be done by someone who knows diddly about VBA?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

JoAnn,
It sound like you have already changed the colors in the cells
where every character is already green. That would leave the
cells with two or more font colors in them.
Vba code could go thru the used range on the sheet and determine
each cell with mixed font colors. Then for each of those cells
it would have to read the font color for each character and if it
was dark green in color then change it to bright green.
Or it could just look for any character that wasn't colored "automatic"
and change it to bright green.
If you have 10,000 tanks and a small book written about each one
then the procedure would probably take a while.
Does that describe the situation and/or help clarify it?
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]"
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

This code should so it, but as Jim says, it could take a long time

Public Sub ProcessData()
Const TestColumn As String = "D" '<=== change to suit
Const OriginalCI As Long = 10 '<=== green, change to suit
Const NewCI As Long = 4 '<=== lime green, change to suit
Dim iLastRow As Long
Dim i As Long, j As Long
With ActiveSheet

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

iLastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, TestColumn).End(xlUp).Row
For i = 1 To iLastRow
For j = 1 To Len(Cells(i, TestColumn).Value)
Debug.Print
If Cells(i, TestColumn).Characters(j, 1).Font.ColorIndex =
OriginalCI Then
Cells(i, TestColumn).Characters(j, 1).Font.ColorIndex =
NewCI
End If
Next j
Next i

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End With

HTH

Bob Phillips

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You guys understand the problem perfectly. It's not a huge spreadsheet.
Maybe 200 rows and the font in question is all in one column.

I'll try the code but I've never had much luck at running codes. I'm a
complete dunce with them.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Just select the sheet in question, then go into the VBIDE (Alt-F11).

In the VBIDE, insert a code module (InsertModule)

Paste the code into the code pane.

Make changes to the customisable bits that I indicated.

Put the cursor somewhere in the code, anywhere, then hit F5 to run it.

HTH

Bob Phillips

[...]

=
OriginalCI Then
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

TA DUM!!! Give the man a see-gar!

Yes, the font changed colors. Plus I edited that code to change it back
again. The lime green shows up great on a projected image but it difficult
to see on a CRT monitor. This way I can change the text prior to our meeting
and then back again afterward.

Thank you ever so much. I actually stopped at Borders on the way home from
work and picked up "Excel VBA Programming for Dummies". "Excel Programming
for Drooling Imbeciles" would have been better for me but it doesn't exist.
Let's hope I'm a dummy. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]