Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
FTM FTM is offline

Default To paste link or to =cell ref??

Please could someone explain to me the difference between using the paste
link function & the €œ= cell ref€ function to link cells between workbooks. (I
find link paste useful as I can link large numbers of cells at one time where
as I have to use the €œ=€ method for each cell. Maybe there is a way to do
large numbers of cells with the €œ=€ method?)
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

There is not relly a quick way in using the "= cell ref". But if you do use
the "=Cell Ref" method, whn you copy this to another cell, the cell ref
changes in repect to its placing. This may help you, by copying the "=Cell
Ref" to the other cells, and by using the $ either in front of the Column
Number / Row Number / Or both will determine on how the cell ref changes when
being copied to another cell.

Hope This Helps

"FTM" wrote:

Please could someone explain to me the difference between using the paste
link function & the €œ= cell ref€ function to link cells between workbooks. (I
find link paste useful as I can link large numbers of cells at one time where
as I have to use the €œ=€ method for each cell. Maybe there is a way to do
large numbers of cells with the €œ=€ method?)
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Im Afraid I can't as i don't use the paste link. But When if you "=Cell Ref"
belongs to another worksheet of file that your formula belongs to, then this
will automatically create a link between the two.

"FTM" wrote:

Please could someone explain to me the difference between using the paste
link function & the €œ= cell ref€ function to link cells between workbooks. (I
find link paste useful as I can link large numbers of cells at one time where
as I have to use the €œ=€ method for each cell. Maybe there is a way to do
large numbers of cells with the €œ=€ method?)
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
FTM FTM is offline

Thanks, yes I've tried to compare the two methods side by side to find the
difference (I know this seems daft but I really want to know if we have to
ways of doing the same thing or if one is more suited to a situation than
another) so far the only thing I can find is that the paste link method gives
an absolute cell ref whereas the = method gives a relative reference. They
both update the same & link between workbooks the same as far as I can tell.