Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default External Links

Hello all,

I am beginning a new engagemnt where I am inheriting a 100 + megabyte
spreadsheet that is actually being used as a "database." For the last 5
years I've been developing Access applications and my natural tendency is to
propose that we move this to Access.

The user who created the spreadsheet imports data from Hyperion and Cognos,
then re-formats it and summarizes it using pivot tables. The "database"
portions of this setup are linked schedules (using GETPIVOTDATA) for every
cell. Users then link to these schedules to produce reports.

I would like to propose eliminating the pivot tables by doing all the prep
work in Access, then create functions in Excel that users can employee to
bring in data for their Excel reports.

Does this sound like a feasible solution--I am open to any suggestion.
Thanks and sorry for the length of this posting.

--
Scott S
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

ScottS wrote:
Does this sound like a feasible solution

Absolutely.
The current architecture sounds awful!

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

One additional point - there is not need to bring the data into Excel from
Hyperion and Cognos, depending on the details you might be able to connect
directly to those programs from the pivot table - using the External Data
option on the first step of the PT wizard.

Cheers,
Shane