Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tia Tia is offline

Default #Value w external links

I created a spreadsheet that contains countif and sumif functions with
external links.
For some reason my workbook is fine but when I email to other people, they
get #Value errors even when they choose to not update the links. I don't
think it's the version of Excel because everyone is on 2003. Any ideas would
be helpful.
A coworker also had that problem but when she opened up the external file as
well, saved it and closed both files, she was able to reopen the spreadsheet
with the links without getting #value errors or without having to open the
linked file.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you have two problems here.

The first is the one Biff describes: =countif() and =sumif() won't evaluate
correctly if they point at a workbook that is not open.

The second one is that the formulas evaluate to errors if you choose to not
update the links when you open them.

Jim Rech posted a registry tweak:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...GP11.phx .gbl

--