PeterG

Default External Links

Whats the best method to link 2 spreadhseets together. They have a
stock code that is the common link between them. 1 sheet has 4168 lines
the other has 14909 lines. The larger one is a FULL list of all stock
codes, the other is a smaller subset, its needed for sections of
catalogues. I want to be able to change the price on the master list
and have it updated on the subset listing.

At the moment I have setup a hiddeous lookup formula - rather messy.

Thanks
Peter.

--
PeterG
PeterG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16485

Paul Sheppard

PeterG Wrote:
Whats the best method to link 2 spreadhseets together. They have a
stock code that is the common link between them. 1 sheet has 4168 lines
the other has 14909 lines. The larger one is a FULL list of all stock
codes, the other is a smaller subset, its needed for sections of
catalogues. I want to be able to change the price on the master list
and have it updated on the subset listing.

At the moment I have setup a hiddeous lookup formula - rather messy.

Thanks
Peter.

Hi Peter

VLOOKUP seems to be your best bet viz

=VLOOKUP(A1,'C:\My
Documents\[WorkbookName.xls]WorksheetName'!$A$1:$B$14909,2,0)

You will need to change the cell reference, full path C:\..... to match
your file location, WorkbookName, WorksheetName, range and the column no
the price is in

Drag the formula down to row 4168 (or 9 if you have a header row)

If you don't want to use lookup you could just create a direct link, in
the workbook with 4168 records in the price column for item 1 type =,
then go to the price column in the workbook with 14909 records and
click in the price cell corresponding to the item in the first workbook
and enter, repeat for the 4167 items this will be time consuming as you
would have to match each record separately,

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=399837