Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default If formula - got myself confused!

Hi,

In English, what I am trying to do is:

I have a spreadsheet where people put in the client activities (demo,
quote etc) by month (i.e. July = 1, August = 2 etc (peculiar financial
year!))
Example:
A------- B--------C--------D---------- E-------F
Month--- Client--ITT-----Quotation-- Demo---Visit
1--------A--------1--------2-----------1
1--------B--------1----------------------------1
2--------A--------1--------1
2--------B----------------- 1-------------------2
3--------C------------------------------1

My boss wants a summary of total activities done over a month, (i.e. no
need for customer details) - she wants to know how many ITTs, Demos etc
were done in July.

If I am trying to see how many ITTs were done in July (1), I can do an
IF function with IFA2:A100=1, ?????? ,0 - I am not sure what to put
into the if true section in order to count up the number of cells in a
column - if I put it to count C, then I either get 1 or 3 - I can't get
it to tell me that there were 2 ITTs done in July.

Help! I've got myself into a complete muddle over this!
Thanks!

(Edited coz the board took away all my spacing...)

--
JoFo
JoFo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36481

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Create a helper column in column G, with formula =SUM(B2:F2) and copy down.
Then you can get your July total with formula:
=SUMIF(A:A,1,G:G)

HTH
--
AP

"JoFo" a écrit dans le
message de news: ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dav Dav is offline

=sumif(a2:a100,1,c2:c100)

regards

Dav

--
Dav
Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27107

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks guys! I think I was trying to be too complicated...

--
JoFo
JoFo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36481
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=562428

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

New day - new problem! :)

My manager has now asked for this summary to be on a separate
spreadsheet (so that she can look at it along with other summaries)

Unfortunately, using this formula:
=SUMIF('S:\Internal\Sales Figures\2006-2007\[ES 06-07
Spreadsheet.xls]Activity'!$A$3:$A$1001,1,'S:\Internal\Sales
Figures\2006-2007\[ES 06-07 Spreadsheet.xls]Activity'!$C$3:$C$1127)

just brings up a #Value! unless the spreadsheet it is linking to is
open. If the linked to spreadsheet is opened, then closed, then I get
the figures untill I close the summary spreadsheet. Then, when I
reopen the summary spreadsheet, and click on Update (which I would need
to if any of the other sections that this spreadsheet links to had been
updated), I get #Value! again.

What am I doing wrong?