Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dannycol

Default assign formula to another cell

Anyone know if it is possible to assign a formula to a cell, only if the cell
is blank?

e.g. i have cells with formula in where data is linked to other cells,
sometimes however this data my be manually deleted leaving the cell blank, i
would like the cell to retain the original formula or the formula be re
inputed if the cell is blank, so that if again the formula criteria is met
the correct data/value is retuned.

i was hoping, e.g cell B6 contains the original formula, i could select
another cell say C6 an insert a formula =IFB6=blank, insert formula... or
similar?

Any help would be appreciated

Danny
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

... e.g cell B6 contains the original formula, i could select
another cell say C6 an insert a formula
=IFB6=blank, insert formula... or similar?

Perhaps something like this in C6:
=IF(B6="","",B6*100)

C6 will appear "blank" if B6 is either empty, or if B6 contains a formula
evaluating to a null string:"", otherwise C6 returns the result of the calc:
B6*100

Replace the part: B6*100 with your formula ..
--
Max
Singapore
"Dannycol" wrote:
Anyone know if it is possible to assign a formula to a cell, only if the cell
is blank?

e.g. i have cells with formula in where data is linked to other cells,
sometimes however this data my be manually deleted leaving the cell blank, i
would like the cell to retain the original formula or the formula be re
inputed if the cell is blank, so that if again the formula criteria is met
the correct data/value is retuned.

i was hoping, e.g cell B6 contains the original formula, i could select
another cell say C6 an insert a formula =IFB6=blank, insert formula... or
similar?

Any help would be appreciated

Danny

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dannycol

Thanks for the suggestion but it does not seem to solve
my query unless i've miss understood!

In B6 i have formula IF(A60,"Sale","") This works fine.. periodically i
have to delete the word 'Sale' leaving B6 blank which also deletes the
original formula... I'm trying to re input the original formula into B6, so
once i delete the word Sale (or delete what ever data is in B6) the formula
IF(A60,"Sale","") is restored in B6?

Would it be possible?

Regards

Danny

"Dannycol" wrote:
Anyone know if it is possible to assign a formula to a cell, only if the cell
is blank?

e.g. i have cells with formula in where data is linked to other cells,
sometimes however this data my be manually deleted leaving the cell blank, i
would like the cell to retain the original formula or the formula be re
inputed if the cell is blank, so that if again the formula criteria is met
the correct data/value is retuned.

i was hoping, e.g cell B6 contains the original formula, i could select
another cell say C6 an insert a formula =IFB6=blank, insert formula... or
similar?

Any help would be appreciated

Danny

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

What you're after is not possible via formulas.
Hang around awhile for insights from others
versed in vba.