Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tee tee is offline

Default how can i average more than 30 fields?

I am trying to set up a bowling league spreadsheet. The bowling league
consists of 32 weeks. I need to figure each bowlers individual average for
32 weeks which is done by adding up the weekly averages and dividing by the
numbers of weeks bowled. The program won't let me average more than 30
fields.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You probably have a formula like =AVERAGE(A1,A2,A3,......
Instead, use =AVERAGE(A1:A32)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"tee" wrote in message ...
|I am trying to set up a bowling league spreadsheet. The bowling league
| consists of 32 weeks. I need to figure each bowlers individual average for
| 32 weeks which is done by adding up the weekly averages and dividing by the
| numbers of weeks bowled. The program won't let me average more than 30
| fields.
|
| Is there a way around this?
|
| Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What's your current formula look like?

AVERAGE can have up to 30 arguments.

If you're working with non-contiguous cells like this:

=AVERAGE(A1,A5,A10,A15,A20.....etc)

There's a way to get around having to enter individual references.

Post your formula and/or tell us EXACTLY what cells need averaged. The more
details you provide the better chance of getting a solution.

Biff

"tee" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a bowling league spreadsheet. The bowling league
consists of 32 weeks. I need to figure each bowlers individual average
for
32 weeks which is done by adding up the weekly averages and dividing by
the
numbers of weeks bowled. The program won't let me average more than 30
fields.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What formula are you using?

The Average() function will work over an entire column!

If you have blank cells in the weekly average column (not 0's), you could
use something like this:

=Average(E:E)

Where the weekly average formula in Column E was something like this *array*
formula:

=IF(A1:C1<0,AVERAGE(A1:C1),"")

--
Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of the
regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

--

HTH,

RD