Dstess

Default How do I format email addresses as Text only?

I have a large database with names, addresses etc. When I try to make changes
to the email address, like change the font color or change on letter, Excel
tries to email the address. If I click in the formula bar to make the
changes, it automatically changes it back to all blue text and underlined. I
have tried to format all of the cells as "Text" to show as entered, but it
doesnt work. PLEASE HELP
Bob Phillips

Sneak up on it :-)

Don't click the cell, click an adjacent cell, and then use the arrow keys to
navigate to the cell. Change it as you wish.

Alternatively, get to the cell in the same way and remove the hyperlink
(InsertHyperlink Remove Hyperlink)

--

HTH

RP

"Dstess" wrote in message
I have a large database with names, addresses etc. When I try to make

changes
to the email address, like change the font color or change on letter,

Excel
tries to email the address. If I click in the formula bar to make the
changes, it automatically changes it back to all blue text and underlined.

have tried to format all of the cells as "Text" to show as entered, but it
doesnt work. PLEASE HELP

Gord Dibben

If you left-click and hold for 2 seconds it won't do its hyperlink jump.

The cell will remain selected for formatting/editing.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:10:29 -0000, "Bob Phillips"
wrote:

Sneak up on it :-)

Don't click the cell, click an adjacent cell, and then use the arrow keys to
navigate to the cell. Change it as you wish.

Alternatively, get to the cell in the same way and remove the hyperlink
(InsertHyperlink Remove Hyperlink)

Dstess

Thank you both Bob and Gord,

I did figure out the right click and remove hyperlink; unfortunatly, I could
not figure out how to do all of the emails at one time, so I spent WAY too
much time clicking each one and removing the hyperlink.

Left click and hold could be helpful later for as new volunteers are added
it is still changing their addresses to the hyperlink, of course I have now
gotten use to the "right click, remove" steps so that might take just as much
time.

There should be a way to deactivate all hyperlinks in the spreedsheet though.

Sneak up on it... he he he... cute one.

Thanks again for your help.

wrote:

Sneak up on it :-)

Don't click the cell, click an adjacent cell, and then use the arrow keys to
navigate to the cell. Change it as you wish.

Alternatively, get to the cell in the same way and remove the hyperlink
(InsertHyperlink Remove Hyperlink)

Bob Phillips

The quickest way that I have found, and an approach you can use in many
other circumstances , is to use the Repeat Action function key, F4.

Select cell A1, right-click and remove the hyperlink.
Then use the down arrow key, and press F4,
Repeat ad nauseum.

You still have to select every cell, but only one right-click, and you can
do it in a co-ordinated manner, right hand down arrow, left F4, it gets
quite efficient.

--

HTH

RP

wrote:

Sneak up on it :-)

Don't click the cell, click an adjacent cell, and then use the arrow

keys to
navigate to the cell. Change it as you wish.

Alternatively, get to the cell in the same way and remove the hyperlink
(InsertHyperlink Remove Hyperlink)

Gord Dibben

To remove all hyperlinks in a selection.

Sub removeAllLinksFromSelection()
Selection.Hyperlinks.Delete
End Sub

Gord